Kia Optima Forums banner

Catch Can Install - 2017 Optima Hybrid

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  K5 Optima Store 
#1 · (Edited)
There is an older thread where an oil catch can was mounted in an earlier hybrid. IIRC it was a different engine with PCV on front or passenger side of engine. The can was mounted on firewall.

My 2.0L engine has the PCV hose on rear or transmission/driver side of engine. The hybrid is pretty congested on both sides/front of engine so IMO the firewall is the best place for the catch can on a hybrid. I can easily access the catch can dipstick or remove the base to drain it. I fabricated a bracket for the catch can and mounted it using an existing stud on firewall. The firewall studs have plastic covers on them that are easily removed.

I purchased the ADD W1 V3 catch can from K5 Optima Store. I chose the Gunmetal color for the decorative ring; other colors are available. The can is high quality. Nice machining, fit and anodized finish. It passed a vacuum test, no leaks.

The kit is supplied with short lengths of hose so they are not long enough for a firewall install. I learned 5/8" PCV hose is scarce at parts stores, so get it in hand before attempting a firewall install. I used ~ 3 feet of 5/8" PCV hose and 2.5 feet of 3/8" PCV hose.

For a clean install, I used Gates shrink clamps on the catch can 3/8" and 5/8" fittings. No worries, connections are secure with the shrink clamps. Points off though, I did not have 5/8" Tech Flex like I used on the 3/8" hose.

I removed the foam cover from the short OEM PCV hose and installed it on the new 5/8" intake hose at the intake side. There is a metal pipe and plastic air filter tube to route around so it offers chafe protection.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you both for the kind words!

In the right corner....there is a hose for a coolant circulation pump (obscured by the washer fluid bottle neck) and the HSG (Hybrid Starter Generator) is larger and water cooled. Yes, belt driven engine starting!

If I put the can there, the coolant hose would have to be forced down making servicing of the can difficult. Then I'd have to run hoses across front of engine. The firewall was much more convenient.

Attachments

#4 ·
I see says the blindman.

I'm going to see it it's doable on my car, I'm always looking for a better option plus I like to tinker..................

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.