Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a catch can as soon as I got my new engine and it fills up so much quicker. With the older engine it filled up half way after about 8k kms.
Now....full to the rim only after 2k km!!
Good thing I checked.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will be adding a 2nd cc on the intake side. All this crud without a tune and driving "normal" most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Colder weather will fill out a lot quicker due to more water mixing into it, in the summer months you’ll only be collecting oil for the most part. I remembered I had to empty my Saikou Michi OCC at least once a month during the winter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Hmmm, I haven't checked my OCC since my last oil change back in September of this year (25K mile mark); having said that, when I checked my OCC at that time there wasn't much oil collected in it--I guestimate maybe two tablespoons tops, definitely nowhere close to being full--both then and when checking in after previous oil changes. Not sure what to make of it, especially given that others like OP have reported their OCCs capturing quite a bit of oil and I'm sure I installed it correctly since there is some oil getting collected in my OCC.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Maybe pcv is not good? Change it and see what happens.
I suppose it's possible, but my vehicle hasn't experienced some of the more obvious symptoms associated with a bad PCV valve--no rough idle, fuel economy is still pretty decent (for a 2.0T), no black/blue/white smoke, no check engine light. I suppose that if even after all that it turns out that it's bad, then I will say it ain't because I didn't do regular oil changes. Guess I'll take a looksee at it when I have some time this weekend.

·
Registered
2014 SXL
54 Posts
A word to the wise... I learned this first hand...Make sure the hoses going from the engine to the catch can (both cans) doesn't have a low spot in it. What happens is water vapor will sit in the low spot and freeze during winter and effectively block venting of the crankcase causing the turbo oil return to backup and force oil out the seals into the exhaust and charge pipe/intercooler.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
A word to the wise... I learned this first hand...Make sure the hoses going from the engine to the catch can (both cans) doesn't have a low spot in it. What happens is water vapor will sit in the low spot and freeze during winter and effectively block venting of the crankcase causing the turbo oil return to backup and force oil out the seals into the exhaust and charge pipe/intercooler.
Good advice, although in my particular case the odds of that happening are slim to none--it doesn't get cold enough where I live and/or work for that to happen, plus I keep my car parked inside my garage when home, day or night; for the most part the only time it sits parked right outside my garage is when I'm washing it--LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts