Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Kia Optima.
Hello so Tuesday i parked my car at my girlfriends. We go to watch her cousins softball game. Come back(about 2-3 hours) try to unlock car, i notice the lights arent going off as the usually do. Open door try to start car nothing…. 5 mins later dash lights up randomly. Try to start car, hear one click then all dash lights go off. Another 5-10mins lights randomly come back on. Try to start, nothing. We even jumped the car it started with a jump but as soon as we took the cables off the car turned off. I got the battery replaced in April 2021. So i dont believe its that. Maybe the alternator? I bought one just incase. But i noticed the 180amp fuse on the positive battery terminal is like melted. Not sure if its BLOWN its just melted plastic around and below it. So could it be the fuse? I ordered one from the Kia dealership(only way to get one). Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Check the connections and the wiring.

It's troubling if the plastic is melting on the fuse. Need to figure out what is drawing so much current to cause that much heat.

I wonder if the fuse actually blew, can you use a multimeter to check?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the connections and the wiring.

It's troubling if the plastic is melting on the fuse. Need to figure out what is drawing so much current to cause that much heat.

I wonder if the fuse actually blew, can you use a multimeter to check?
At the moment i cannot. But would that fuse be the cause of my problems i stated?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
The word "random" shows up in your problem description, so the fuse might? But I wonder if there is something more random happening, like there is something shorting out some wires, or maybe a device is mostly shorted out enough to cause problems but not enough to blow that big fuse?

But the melting gives you a hint, because that comes from too much heat, which probably comes from too much current. So, there is something drawing too much current. You can maybe look for more heat damage elsewhere, maybe like in electrical tape or insulation, at other components. Like if you find melted plastic near the starter motor, then maybe that's what is shorting out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts