Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a strange issue where my car will occasionally not start, or get any power (no lights no nothing). I would reset it by disconnecting the battery. That seemed to work for a while.

Now it won't start at all. I have to drain the battery, reconnect it, something seems to reset, the lights will come on and the car will power on. I hit the start for the ignition and it just completely dies. Weirdly enough the halo's switchback turns on, and stays on.

Not sure whats going on. I've done a lot of electric work, HIDs, Halos, interrior LEDs.

I'll try to get a video soon. Hopefully one of you guys can help before I have to take her to the mechanic.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
Sounds like there might be a loose connection somewhere.

I would also do what is recommended above, and try and check the voltage of the battery first, the next time it happens.

This way you'll know for sure if it's the battery or not, based on the voltage at the time.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Dunno, might help:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

It seems our car really hates having anything grounded to the battery. Through some research I found that there is a sensor connected to the negative battery terminal that gets reallly mad if you hook up aftermarket grounds to it. Car has been starting just fine since I've disconnected some lights I had going to the negative battery terminal. Now I have to find some better grounds.

How effective are these? Are they just for people running audio? I have 4 aftermarket hids + DRL + other light accessories that probably need better grounding:

Looks like it would be a PITA to install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.