Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car seems to love agitating me. 3 days ago I was coming to a stop in shopping centre parking lot and the car starting surging/shuddering and it completely shut off and had a super strong smell of gasoline and whenever I tried to restart the engine it just sounded like the car was completely out of gas, left it for almost an hour and it started back up like nothing ever happened, however yesterday I started it up in the driveway and it smelled like gasoline again, now the car is 100% running fine without a gasoline smell. I’m thinking it’s the fuel pump that’s the issue but I’m not 100% sure that’s the main issue, but I’m positive that this issue has something to do with the fact that a full tank of gas wouldn’t even go 300 miles on the highway because the MPG is abysmal it won’t even reach the 30s on the highway.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
What part of the car did the smell of gasoline come from?

Did you ever see evidence of splashes of gasoline anywhere?

Maybe watch the engine while it's running to see if anything odd is going on (pull off the plastic engine cover to see the pump and rails)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
As above, if gasoline can be detected there is probably a leak, so check all fuel lines from the engine back,
especially around the high pressure fuel pump that sits on the valve cover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What part of the car did the smell of gasoline come from?

Did you ever see evidence of splashes of gasoline anywhere?

Maybe watch the engine while it's running to see if anything odd is going on (pull off the plastic engine cover to see the pump and rails)
No idea where it was actually coming from, it was pretty strong to where I couldn’t actually pinpoint the culprit area (as far as I could tell it was mainly coming from the rear) Never seen any gasoline splashes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I was instructed by the dealer not to drive it but I literally have too. Lol. Haven’t had a smell nor has it shut off since the incident date. Still want them to check it out just incase there is a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This car seems to love agitating me. 3 days ago I was coming to a stop in shopping centre parking lot and the car starting surging/shuddering and it completely shut off and had a super strong smell of gasoline and whenever I tried to restart the engine it just sounded like the car was completely out of gas, left it for almost an hour and it started back up like nothing ever happened, however yesterday I started it up in the driveway and it smelled like gasoline again, now the car is 100% running fine without a gasoline smell. I’m thinking it’s the fuel pump that’s the issue but I’m not 100% sure that’s the main issue, but I’m positive that this issue has something to do with the fact that a full tank of gas wouldn’t even go 300 miles on the highway because the MPG is abysmal it won’t even reach the 30s on the highway.
The high pressure fuel pump has had issues on some models, get dealer to check it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts