Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently noticed that after I turn off the engine in my 2014 EX that there is a sputtering or pop sound.. It is like 2 seconds after I turn off the engine and right before the goodbye light goes off and you here that little click. Not noticeable unless hood is up but still concerning.. Car drives fine no engine light and well maintained.. Has been burning some oil for awhile but i keep it topped off so i wonder if this is the beginning of the rod bearings about to go. KSDS update already done so i should be covered, right? The sound is odd. Not like a solenoid switching off or a knock just a sputter or pop like 2 seconds after turning off. Def not a heat shield either. When i stick my head under hood sounds like it is coming from throttle body area...Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
440 Posts
Shoot some video and post please...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't read much on this topic. Does yours run after ignition is turned off?
It makes a little sputter after shutoff. Sounds like it is coming from throttle body..I had my mechanic listen and he said all GDI engines do this. Try listening closely at shutoff. Don't know what to make of it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is not true All GDI engines sputter, run on slightly after shutdown, not at all true.

In my experience, the common thing causing that is Cheap, low octane fuel yet I'm sure other oddities can also.

If it were mine, I would leave in gear (drive) then shutoff, that should reduce if not eliminate the run on. I know its not a fix just a workaround. Maybe someone else will have more ideas. Luck.

Reactions: Alopez8

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not true All GDI engines sputter, run on slightly after shutdown, not at all true.

In my experience, the common thing causing that is Cheap, low octane fuel yet I'm sure other oddities can also.

If it were mine, I would leave in gear (drive) then shutoff, that should reduce if not eliminate the run on. I know its not a fix just a workaround. Maybe someone else will have more ideas. Luck.
Thank you. I will try that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I've now finally decided to become a member since I have the exact same issues.my motor was replace by Kia ONE month ago, practically still new.before my car went in for engine replacement;the old motor(before the bearing went out) NEVER made that weird pop crank like sound.the motor ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS shut off smoothly. Now with the NEW MOTOR I began to notice TWO WEEKS after the new motor was installed. I started to noticed the popping and a small engine vibration TWO week after new engine install. They said that the motor mounts need to changed And I changed all motor and tranny mounts and problem still exist.they can't figure out why the popping.but I have found a thread on YouTube that says there is a bearing beneath the fuel Injection pump that sits in top on the motor. The bearing is between the camshaft and the valve cover where the direct Injection pump sits. When the bearing is bad. Fuel delivery is bad and this is one of the symptom.im still trying to fix my car but my next step is changing that bearing for the injection pump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.