Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in an 08 Mustang GT 5sp. Recently had a second kid which means two rear facing seats which is obviously no bueno in my Mustang. I drive a bunch for work (22-25k miles annually) so something a little more fuel efficient would be nice. Being 6'3", 300+ lbs compacts don't work. In fact, that's the issue I'm running into with a bunch of sedans is that it's hard to get that rear facing seat behind me on the drivers side. Went to look at a car the other day and stumbled into test driving a 16 SX launch edition (the red leather, pano roof, etc) and holy moly, that was a very nice ride. Loved the ventilated seats - really seems to be great bang for the buck. Integrated rear sun shades are kinda cool for having 2 little kids. I've been primarily focused on 16+ Accord EXs because I'm wanting a sunroof and Android Auto, but after testing this Optima I've maybe been swayed a little bit. I also tested a 16 EX which was loaded but it just didn't feel as nice as the SX which is kinda silly (I really liked that squared off SX steering wheel)

Wants/Needs -
  • significant rear seat space - the 16/17 Optima has an extra inch compared with the 15s
  • Android Auto
  • Sunroof
  • Decent Trunk size
Optima seems to fit my needs. A couple concerns I've had - reviews have been a little Meh on the 2.0 Turbo from what I'm reading - I don't need fast, I just like a little pep/quick, I drive my Mustang relatively conservatively most of the time, maybe accelerate a little quickly but then just set the cruise at 55-65 mph depending on the road.

I get about 21-22 mpg in my mustang - looking at fuelly.com, guessing I'd see 25-27? Is that overly optimistic? I'm mostly on 2 lane rural roads runnning between schools cruising about 60 and slowing down to 30-35 for all the small towns

How big an issue is the low amperage on the USB port? The accords I've been looking at have the front USB rated at 1.5A but I've seen a couple threads suggesting the optima is only .5 or .75 A and phones may discharge while running android auto, I use a galaxy note 8 (soon to be 10 whenever that comes out).

Reliability - everything I read suggests the optima continues to rate highly, haven't seen anything jumping out at me reading threads on here, am I overlooking anything with the turbos?

Is Kia Certified really worth it? Budget has been trying to be between 18-19k out the door, I'm seeing a few 16-17 SXs down there but most of the certifieds are 20-21k.

To rehash - shopping 16+ Optimas, 16+ Accords, 13+ Avalons (no android auto I know), and 16+ Impalas

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Do the Optima, better than everything you have listed. The engine recall was the 2011-2014 models. Ive gotten 38 mpg doing 80mph on a trip to Chicago in my 2012 turbo. The car has plenty of pep, and don't be afraid to step on the gas and go. LOTS of low end torque in those models. As for the USB port, that was the case on the 2011-2015 models, but I believe they are high voltage now, plus you have the cigarette lighter where you can plug in any high power adapter for charging (I personally use a 5A adapter). Enjoy!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,093 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

We may be a bit biased here on this site.

However, I would agree with the others, and say Optima as well.

When comparing the two, I think Kia definitely comes out on top.

Hope to see you around the forum as an owner soon. ;)

-David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any issues with the leather on the doors separating from the door card on the Optimas? Happened on my Mustang and was hoping not to deal with it again, can't tell from the pictures of this one if it's bubbled and come a loose on the drivers door? If it was a CPO car I wouldn't sweat it and imagine it would be covered under the 12k mile platinum coverage. However this is a non CPO car & IF it is bubbled any insight if that would be covered under the original 60k mile warranty? In my opinion that's not a "wear and tear" issue but who knows what Kia would actually say

Capture.JPG Capture 2.JPG

·
Registered
276 Posts
47,000 mostly trouble free miles on my 16' SX. Had a couple of recalls, and had to have rear spoiler replaced under warranty. Still rides very solid on aftermarket suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If all goes to plan, I'll be picking up this beauty of a Launch Edition SX tomorrow. Haven't actually seen it in person yet, but assuming test drive goes smoothly we'll be good to go (I test drove another SX previously and a couple of EXs). They should have the chip that's visible on rear left already taken care of for me as well.

It was one I was looking at online about a month ago, at a dealer about 3 hours away. Thought it had sold after having sat on their lot for 2.5 months, but then conveniently, it popped back up another dealer in the same network only an hour and a half away, hilariously for about $1000 more than I'd seen it previously. A little bit of haggling and I've got them back down to close to where it was at the other dealer. Could seem to swing a CPO for under 20k, but this only has 28k miles so I've got a decent bit of factory warranty left. Have them down to around 18.5-18.6k. Should be about 20.4k with TTL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
AuD14
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing