Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen older threads on this subject where people were in the same boat as me. I changed my interior lights to led. I was going good till I got to the last one, then I accidentally made a big boo boo and everything died. :cry: I was able to start the car only by sticking the key fob into the glove box. Anyway, I got on here and saw that others had the same thing happen to them. They changed the red fuse in the yellow thing down by the left of the steering wheel and got the car working. So I tried the same thing. I got a different result. When I changed the fuse I got power for about a second and the fuse made a crackling sound and went to fuse heaven! In a second attempt, I took the fob out of the glove box and tried again but the same thing happened. :cry::cry: So I have Dead Meat in my garage & don't know what to do. I don't know if it matters, but I still have the led bulbs installed. Can someone offer a solution? My wife is giving me all the grief I can take and it's not even her car!

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,157 Posts
Are u changing the dome lights? If you are turn the switch to off. I always unhook the battery anytime when changing to LEDs or adding LEDs. Do not use any metal objects to help seat the bulbs. Try again and c what happens. The metal tool will cause a short and you will blow a fuse again.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Did you try and uninstall the LED's? take them out for a sec and install the your factory bulbs? lets see if it the fuse will still blow again on factory bulbs. i'm just assuming that it is grounding onto something... i don't usually unplug my battery wires so this problem is common to me when installing led dome bulbs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
What they said... Remove the LEDs and install the factory. If no problem... one of the LEDs boards is shorted somewhere. Reinstall them one at a time.

BTW, I usually undo the negative battery post when doing dome bulbs as Scott suggested to avoid popping fuses.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the front dome lights, no problem. When I was changing a back seat dome light the screwdriver I was using made contact with metal, then pffffft! But I seated the rest of the lights since the power was out anyway. Maybe I should try putting the old lights in to see what happens, but it seems that the new lights should work since they are already in place, but apparently not.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

I have not tried that yet but it is on my to do list in the morning. First, I'll take out all the lights, change the fuse and see if the car starts...without blowing the fuse. If that goes well, I'll slowly add the old lights and go from there. Man, I hope that fuse doesn't blow again, especially with no lights in!

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
I changed the front dome lights, no problem. When I was changing a back seat dome light the screwdriver I was using made contact with metal, then pffffft! But I seated the rest of the lights since the power was out anyway. Maybe I should try putting the old lights in to see what happens, but it seems that the new lights should work since they are already in place, but apparently not.
Dont use a screw driver or anything metal. If you havent invested in panel poppers I would suggest getting a set. They are very handy and inexpensive, cost under 10$

So you installed the front LED's with no problems and the car worked but the back LED's were where you had the problem and the car didnt have power?

Edit: Just saw your second post. Let us know how it goes! Good luck

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If it does... the only thing I can think is the contact got bent up by the screwdriver and is now continuously shorting.

Fingers crossed for you... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right, I should have undone the battery. I didn't b/c I can't tell which way the bulb is supposed to go in. Lesson learned the hard way. I will try your suggestion in the morning, but I'm not sure what you mean by one of the LEDs boards may be shorted. Hopefully it will work out though...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
but I'm not sure what you mean by one of the LEDs boards may be shorted. Hopefully it will work out though...
By that I mean one of the solder points on the board is too large and is crossing from a +12v to ground trace on the board. Happens sometimes. Or a component is broken/loose and is bridging +12v side to ground side. Either way, if you test bulb by bulb (very tedious I know) you will be able to determine which bulb is causing a problem... or if the housing was bent and is shorting. If the fuse blows with no bulbs at all in... then the housing itself is the problem.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, I am away from my car now, but here is an update. Thus morning I took out all the inside lights except the led vanity lights. The good news is that when I started the car, it didn't blow the fuse! All the auxiliary lights came on, and the air conditioning and the vanity lights. The bad news is that the car won't start up. When I press on the brke it won't go down. When I press start it does 2 things..1.auxiliaries come on 2.car says bye bye and shuts off. Maybe all the lights need to be in for car to start, maybe there are other blown fuses. IDK, but that's where I am . I'm getting closer, I look forward to everyone's comments and ideas.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everybody, I finally have good news...my car is back on the road! I finally realised that last night I borrowed two 10 amp fuses from under the hood when I was blowing fuses inside the car. I went and bought some, replaced the two that I borrowed and everything works good as new! Overall, I spent $20 and a day learning, so I am happy and I learned a lot. I want to thank everybody for your time and help. You gave me good advise and tips and inspiration. That is what is wonderful about this forum. Thanks again! Bob

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,591 Posts
Everybody, I finally have good news...my car is back on the road! I finally realised that last night I borrowed two 10 amp fuses from under the hood when I was blowing fuses inside the car. I went and bought some, replaced the two that I borrowed and everything works good as new! Overall, I spent $20 and a day learning, so I am happy and I learned a lot. I want to thank everybody for your time and help. You gave me good advise and tips and inspiration. That is what is wonderful about this forum. Thanks again! Bob
Glad to see you got it working ok - learning is what it's all about!! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
^^This, I had no clue when I first join this forum but I have learned a lot too from all these great members and I appreciate them very much. Glad it worked out for you and now on to the next mod :)

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Awesome, the Optima is ALIVE! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Awesome, glad everything worked out well for you. For future modders, disconnect your battery and you should be fine.
What he said. Glad you got it working and nothing serious happened. :thumbsup:

Wasn't too worried, but for some reason my mind always seems to jump to a worse case scenario. I guess my luck is bad or something.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Nice! thats good news right there :thumbsup: now lets proceed to the next mod of yours ;)
like what they said, next time disconnect your battery :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread. I did the exact same thing while putting the LED bulbs in the back seat passenger lights. Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts