Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We got a used Kia optima 2019 recently from a kia dealership in another state as it was the closest one and come to find out anytime the car is wet, whether it's via rain or car wash then both fobs do not work, the car does not see when the fobs are near so we cannot unlock it using the buttons on the doors, the car does not recognize the button presses on the fobs itself, it's like the distance antenna is getting shorted out or something.

We have to pop out the physical key from the fob to open the door, although the car seems to start fine when the fob is inside at least. There's no Kia dealership within hours of where we live, so it's a little inconvenient to head to one (Not a lot of dealership variation where we are).

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this, or do you think my idea of the antenna getting wet and potentially shorting out could be the issue? Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this, or excepting that does anyone know where the antenna is actually located so that I could try a sealing that area somehow with foam or rubber or so?

Edit: For note, by start correctly I mean by holding the fob in the correct place in the car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
Guess you need to take a drive... Curious as to what made you drive that far for the car. Can picture any KIA I would drive hours to buy.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
On my 2012 SX, the car has multiple antennas to detect the key fob. Are you able to test each antenna?

Example: you can test the trunk by just approaching near the trunk, to see if the trunk unlocks. Or, turn on the courtesy light function, then see if you can approach the passenger door and have the lights turn on when you get close. Then try that on the driver's side.

Another test: control what parts of the car are getting wet. maybe the problem only happens when a certain part gets wet, like the engine bay or the roof. Can you spray down a door and the door antenna still works?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Chuck1948 Oh it's not even that we were going for that specific one, we live in the middle of nowhere; hours away is, quite literally, the nearest human settlements that can be called a City.

@KingFatty None of those work when it's been raining or it got washed in the past hour, so perhaps it's not an antenna connection but rather some exposed internal wiring somewhere? Is there a central point where the antennas connect to that I could take a look at?

I was thinking of trying a piecemeal test of getting the car wet, but it doesn't seem to happen immediately when it gets wet but rather up to half an hour later after it initially started getting wet and then it's fine within a few hours after dry, so I'll need to set aside a whole day to test sometime. Although considering it's happening to all the antennas perhaps it's not an antenna specific issue then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts