Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My optima says it can not detect key in car even though the key is in the car. The remote locks the car with no problem but it is asking me to hold key to starter to start it. Is this a fob battery issue does anyone know? Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Both key fobs? My first response is to always check the battery voltage, and if not possible, just replace the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
If one of the key fobs does work (i.e., car starts up with it) and the other one still doesn't work even after replacing the battery, then there is that small but not improbable possibility that the circuit board/chip in the key fob used to communicate with the module that controls vehicle start might be defective or busted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you we are taking both fobs in to check the batteries and hopefully that will resolve it. If not I will be calling the service dept.
8 months of warranty left. That leads me to another question do you think extending warranty insurance is worth it? I was offered another 4 years for $1700. This includes tires and rims if I understood things correctly. My car is a 2016 Optima with extremely low mileage. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
You'll hear both sides when it comes to extended warranties--however, keep in mind that when it comes to the factory new-car warranty the 10yr/100K mile warranty applies only to the powertrain, the 5yr/60K appliles to most everything else except for the electronics (e.g., radio/navigation and other computerized modules) which IIRC is covered only 3yr/36K miles or some other lower number--which if correct would mean that--based on your vehicle MY--it would appear that the factory electronics/computer part of your original warranty has probably or will soon expire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll hear both sides when it comes to extended warranties--however, keep in mind that when it comes to the factory new-car warranty the 10yr/100K mile warranty applies only to the powertrain, the 5yr/60K appliles to most everything else except for the electronics (e.g., radio/navigation and other computerized modules) which IIRC is covered only 3yr/36K miles or some other lower number--which if correct would mean that--based on your vehicle MY--it would appear that the factory electronics/computer part of your original warranty has probably or will soon expire.
Thank you, I have 8 months left on my original warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
We’ve gone through this with mine as well. The battery in the fobs were fine. We ended up resetting the key fob to the car. There’s a place to reset/reprogram the key fob inside the jockey box, on the left hand side. We did have to reset/reprogram both of them. If it’s not the fob batteries, give this a try. The exact directions are in the manual. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
4 Posts
My optima says it can not detect key in car even though the key is in the car. The remote locks the car with no problem but it is asking me to hold key to starter to start it. Is this a fob battery issue does anyone know? Thank you
Connie, happened twice on my 2014 Optima. Both times, replacing the car battery fixed it. With these new cars now, if the battery is the least bit low or maybe one bad cell, it won't crank slow like we used to see in older cars, the computer sees a lower than optimal voltage and it won't do anything except maybe give you this warning of not detecting a key like it did with mine. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We’ve gone through this with mine as well. The battery in the fobs were fine. We ended up resetting the key fob to the car. There’s a place to reset/reprogram the key fob inside the jockey box, on the left hand side. We did have to reset/reprogram both of them. If it’s not the fob batteries, give this a try. The exact directions are in the manual. Good luck.
Thank you, I will certainly try that if the batteries are not the issue!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Connie, happened twice on my 2014 Optima. Both times, replacing the car battery fixed it. With these new cars now, if the battery is the least bit low or maybe one bad cell, it won't crank slow like we used to see in older cars, the computer sees a lower than optimal voltage and it won't do anything except maybe give you this warning of not detecting a key like it did with mine. Good luck!
Thank you, hopefully we will make it to the battery store today and the problem will be resolved.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would say a battery BUT our Toyota Sienna has issues with our Dash Camera. Go figure. I finally returned it and got another brand and it's fine now

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say a battery BUT our Toyota Sienna has issues with our Dash Camera. Go figure. I finally returned it and got another brand and it's fine now
Thank you for your reply. I got new batteries and I think it has solved the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts