Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima Free
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just damaged my 2013 Optima SXL. I am trying to decide on whether to turn in on insurance or fix it myself. The two biggest issues are the hood and the headlight assembly. I am going to a Pull and Pay tomorrow , they have a 2012 with the drivers headlight assembly in it. How hard is it to get the headlight assembly out of these cars? I will try mine tonight before I go to junkyard.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
Probably more damage than expected, the hood doesn't line up on both sides, top of cover cracked, grille, etc.
There have been some that have removed the air intake, radiator cover, plastic push in rivets and 10mm bolts, removed the push in rivets from under the corners of the bumper and the bolt at the top tip of the bumper in the wheel wheel, lift bumper off clips at top and twisted it enough to get the headlight out.
To me it's easier to just remove the bumper, just 2 more nuts and a bolt on each side behind the bumper.

Have HID headlights?

Always easier going through an insurance company, that's what we pay for. Not certain of your company, but with mine it's only a chargeable accident when they fork out >$500.
Many years ago I hit an extended curb, $1200 damage with $500 deductible, so I had the insurance company give me $500, not chargeable and had the car fixed.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Looks like you joined us here about 6 years ago, but this is your 1st post on the site, so welcome to the Optima Forums. ;)

Ouch, sorry to see this. You could get the used parts from the junk yard, and the swap should not be too difficult to do.

We have worked with a lot of customers and their insurance companies to get upgraded parts replaced under insurance, where it costs less than the original OEM parts.

For example, our 2011-2015 Kia Optima KDM Dual Projector Headlights will cost less money than a new set of headlights from Kia, and these are made by Kia as well.

Same with the hood. Not sure if you or your daughter are into Carbon Fiber or not, but we do have the Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood available for the Kia Optima.

Many members in the past have found it possible to get the upgraded parts for less than the OEM parts, so they get an upgrade and save some money in the process.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2013 Optima 2013 Optima SXL
26 Posts
Looks like you joined us here about 6 years ago, but this is your 1st post on the site, so welcome to the Optima Forums. ;)

Ouch, sorry to see this. You could get the used parts from the junk yard, and the swap should not be too difficult to do.

We have worked with a lot of customers and their insurance companies to get upgraded parts replaced under insurance, where it costs less than the original OEM parts.

For example, our 2011-2015 Kia Optima KDM Dual Projector Headlights will cost less money than a new set of headlights from Kia, and these are made by Kia as well.

Same with the hood. Not sure if you or your daughter are into Carbon Fiber or not, but we do have the Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood available for the Kia Optima.

Many members in the past have found it possible to get the upgraded parts for less than the OEM parts, so they get an upgrade and save some money in the process.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

-David
K5 Optima Store
My car has the D1S OSRAM bulbs purchased from K5 Optima Store in Nov. 2018. I am going to a junkyard/Pull&Pay in a couple hours to see what parts I can find.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife was parked and someone backed up into the front of her optima. Cracked the lower bumper. We just had a insurance claim for another car, so didn't want to have rates go up or get dropped. I found a pre painted front bumper cover on Amazon, was less than $200 shipped to my house and paint matched perfect and looked excellent. If rear of hood area didn't bend anything, might be easy fix.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
If your afraid to turn in claims I hope you have a high deductable. Your paying for the result of an accident.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With mine my deductible is more than the $200 for painted bumper, so saved me 300.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
Cracks/indentations can be an easy fix on bumpers, but time consuming then with the blending oof the paint, a prepainted bumper for $200 can't be beat. I was dubious ordering a prepainted SWP rear spoiler for $99 shipped, but thought I'd give it a try and when it arrived, was shocked as to the paint match and would say difficult to tell from the OEM spoiler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts