Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us Canadian Optima owners have a clunk in their steering columns when motor is running and you turn the steering wheel left & right repeatedly?
It seems Kia USA has recognized this as a safety issue and extended the warranty on the MDPS FLEXIBLE COUPLER to 10 years and unlimited mileage. Just google "Kia Optima steering coupler" 100's of hits will come up. You'll even see copies of the warranty letter.
Appearantly Kia Canada doesn't think we Canadians are at risk of the same safety issue as our friends to to the south. I have called and emailed Kia Canada expressing my concerns and suggested extending the waaranty but they are reluctant to respond. They simply tell me to take my car to an Authorized Dealer and have it repaired. At my cost. My local Dealer won't give me a price because "They have to perform a diagnostic check to ensure that is truly the problem, it is not as simple as just rotating the steering wheel to determine if the clunking is from the coupler". We would be at their mercy to give us an honest appraisal and price. As far as I'm concerned, it is pretty simple.
If you have this problem please email or phone Kia Canada and complain. It will take a lot of us to get this issue covered by extended warranty. We should not have to pay for Kia installing cheap unreliable parts in our cars. Especially if our safety is at stake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many of us Canadian Optima owners have a clunk in their steering columns when motor is running and you turn the steering wheel left & right repeatedly?
It seems Kia USA has recognized this as a safety issue and extended the warranty on the MDPS FLEXIBLE COUPLER to 10 years and unlimited mileage. Just google "Kia Optima steering coupler" 100's of hits will come up. You'll even see copies of the warranty letter.
Appearantly Kia Canada doesn't think we Canadians are at risk of the same safety issue as our friends to to the south. I have called and emailed Kia Canada expressing my concerns and suggested extending the waaranty but they are reluctant to respond. They simply tell me to take my car to an Authorized Dealer and have it repaired. At my cost. My local Dealer won't give me a price because "They have to perform a diagnostic check to ensure that is truly the problem, it is not as simple as just rotating the steering wheel to determine if the clunking is from the coupler". We would be at their mercy to give us an honest appraisal and price. As far as I'm concerned, it is pretty simple.
If you have this problem please email or phone Kia Canada and complain. It will take a lot of us to get this issue covered by extended warranty. We should not have to pay for Kia installing cheap unreliable parts in our cars. Especially if our safety is at stake.
I have a 2012 Optima recently diagnosed with this issue. Quoted $3400 by dealership to replace the entire steering column. Not cool at all. Interested to hear if anyone out there was successful dealing with Kia Canada.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,919 Posts
Don't use that dealership, it's a ripoff to replace the entire steering column. The issue is not the steering column and instead it's at the power unit, a little rubber piece inside.

The problem with that dealership is there is a known issue with the flexible rubber steering coupler, a $5 piece, so it's almost like they are trying to steal your money by trying to replace the steering column.

Are you able to visit another dealership and just request that they replace the steering coupler? Or, are you handy with tools and want to try it yourself, it's not too hard and there is a walk through video that shows you every step real-time so you can follow along with the video and do your own car while watching the video:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
91 Posts
I had mine replaced a couple of months ago. It was about $425. I hope you went elseware

1 - 5 of 5 Posts