Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will test this myself but was just curious. What happens if the key is out of range and someone jumps in your car while its on?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,769 Posts
I'm guessing all of our cars are built to safely accommodate the inevitable problem of driving down the road when your key fob's battery dies.

In other words, I bet our cards are *designed* to continue operating when the key is no longer detected.

So in your situation, the car may allow a thief to drive off without the key, because the car would just think the key's battery went dead?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,857 Posts
Yes the car will still operate without the Key fob once the engine is running. Furthermore, you can shift from park to drive without any issues without the key being present.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
Yep, I was surprised that it does this... come to think of it I think our VW will as well. need to test it on this.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
All cars with push start are capable of being driven away without the keyfob as long as the car is already running. I used to valet park and a lot of customers wouldn't give us the key and told us just to park it and would give me the key when they want the car back... (Do not do this... You'll drive the valet crazy cause he won't know if you've drive away with the car or if someone stole it)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,857 Posts
All cars with push start are capable of being driven away without the keyfob as long as the car is already running. I used to valet park and a lot of customers wouldn't give us the key and told us just to park it and would give me the key when they want the car back... (Do not do this... You'll drive the valet crazy cause he won't know if you've drive away with the car or if someone stole it)
Sorry but I disagree. This statement is not true! I can only speak for the vehicles I have owned or personally experienced this in. However with that being said, my 2009 BMW M3 would not allow you to shift the transmission out of park unless the key was present in the vehicle. I would imagine many car manufacturers design their automobiles this way as a safety feature. I'm sure other BMW's or other German cars are the same way.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,857 Posts
Not true that you can drive far lol my bad, if your battery dies there's a slot in the glove compartment where you can stick it into and keep driving
I'm pretty sure the car will never turn off no matter how far you drive as that would pose a safety issue if the engine were to just turn off while in motion.

·
Registered
2011 kia optimus
1,411 Posts
I'm pretty sure the car will never turn off no matter how far you drive as that would pose a safety issue if the engine were to just turn off while in motion.
But then again all these waste gate actuator with low boost problems would be a safety issue also but it happens

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,857 Posts
But then again all these waste gate actuator with low boost problems would be a safety issue also but it happens
Let me rephrase that then. No cars with keyless entry that I know of will automatically shut off while the engine is running without the key while in gear. That would be a mandatory requirement that it not do that for car manufacturers to have the feature on any vehicle in the US!

·
Registered
2011 kia optimus
1,411 Posts
Let me rephrase that then. No cars with keyless entry that I know of will automatically shut off while the engine is running without the key while in gear. That would be a mandatory requirement that it not do that for car manufacturers to have the feature on any vehicle in the US!
Yes if the battery dies I do believe the car will run till it's turned off but it can sense the difference between a dead battery and a signal getting father away aka maybe getting stolen

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I drove to the gas station just now with no FOB and had no issues, left the car running, drove home. It's about 1/2 mile down the road. So I can tell you with a good level of certainty that the Optima will run until you shut it off without the FOB present.

Also,
David is correct about the BMW's. My cousin's 2011 will not shift out of park without the FOB in the car.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
185 Posts
I can from experience say that you can drive it and you can drive it as far as you want. I often leave the house without my key and when I drop off my wife at the bus (she has the other key in her purse) can still drive back home with no problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts