Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EX that has climate control but the Infinity system does not have
Navigation and the HVAC temp setting is on a separate display down with the controls
below the head unit. If I get the head unit and HVAC controls can it all plug
and play? Is there another module anywhere else? Are all of the connectors there
in the non Navigation equipped EX? Also, by chance are the head units VIN locked to the car/ ECU or something? I have a pal at work that had his car massively hailed on and it may get totaled. I told him I would give him $200 if
I could swap it if it works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is there a market for them bringing up to $1k on ebay if it is absolutely not possible? There are multiple completed items from $500-1000 for salvage take outs.

·
Experience
712 Posts
Anything can be done.....just takes time, intelligence and $$$$$$$.

·
2014 ROTY
2,575 Posts
Anything can be done.....just takes time, intelligence and $$$$$$$.
^^^ This. I was going to put a UVO unit in to replace the base stock radio. I decided against it because of the cost involved which is why I sold the unit. It can be done though, and it will be easier if you have the end of the original wiring harness so you do not have to splice into yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, I did some more reading, etc. My EX has the UVO system. I am asking if the larger screen Navigation system is plug and play to replace the UVO system?

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
02/2014 ROTM
1,260 Posts
why is the answer still no? I put one in before the china unit and it was fine!

U can even leave your HVAC controls alone.
You put an OEM Navigation unit into a car that came w/ the UVO unit? I'd like to hear the details of it. The OP asked if it was Plug-and-Play. 9 years of experience with Hyundai and Kia cars tells me there's no way on earth it was a plug and play swap.

Details, please. (I'm not afraid to be wrong! =) )

·
Registered
185 Posts
That plug and play is a first for me as well. I have UVO and I went through two Chinese units (lived and learned) and the only "true plug and play" units for upgrade is the U-Navi. This is what I plan to get. Its more that I wanna spend but I rather shell out a few more hundred buck for quality in this case.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
No you cant. Upgrading to the NAV or UVO headunits would require the amp for the speakers as well. It is a digital SPDIF connection from the head unit to the AMP then regular speaker level to the components. Whereas the stock non-uvo/non-nav headunit is just speaker level directly to the speakers.

It is not plug-n-play.

It would be 100x easier to go with an aftermarket headunit and amps.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,087 Posts
That plug and play is a first for me as well. I have UVO and I went through two Chinese units (lived and learned) and the only "true plug and play" units for upgrade is the U-Navi. This is what I plan to get. Its more that I wanna spend but I rather shell out a few more hundred buck for quality in this case.
No you cant. Upgrading to the NAV or UVO headunits would require the amp for the speakers as well. It is a digital SPDIF connection from the head unit to the AMP then regular speaker level to the components. Whereas the stock non-uvo/non-nav headunit is just speaker level directly to the speakers.

It is not plug-n-play.

+ 1 :iagree: with both of these comments.

·
02/2014 ROTM
1,260 Posts

It is not plug-n-play.

While I agree with your conclusion, the OP did state that he would be upgrading from the UVO to the Nav unit, so the amp issue would not come into play.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
RevDoc
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing