Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 2014 Optima Ex is burning a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. 138,000 on vehicle.. I called the KIA customer care number to request a case number so I can start an oil consumption test. I got a case number but the rep said there is not a recall for oil consumption on these vehicles so since I am out of warranty she was not sure what could be done but to get the diagnosis first and we can go from there... I was under the impression that if the oil consumption was more than a quart every 1000 miles regardless of mileage than Kia would and has replaced the engine. Anybody have advice on what i should do?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
They, the company is correct in that the engine recall was for "debris", that's certainly a catchall, and not for oil consumption.
From my experience a great many begin with oil consumption, then the engine seizes, some just keep using oil.
You're not the first to receive a negative response to oil consumption, so it may be that they, Kia/Hyundai are paying out too
much to replace engines due to oil consumption. My '11 2.0T engine was replaced 12/19 due to a qt 320 miles, but other
than oil consumption, the engine ran perfect.

There was another person that took the car in (117,000 miles) and the dealer stated that the rings were worn and if the engine
were to seize it was because of this condition and the engine wouldn't be warranted. I said what to do and never heard anything
back, but I certainly wouldn't put up with their crap.

I have a way to have it done, but it certainly isn't above board, so keep at them or maybe contact NHTSA.

Go to run, Merry Christmas

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Merry Christmas to you as well.... It seems unethical that they pick and choose what vehicles get a new engine for oil consumption.. Clearly, like you said it is the beginning of the "debris" issue taking hold. And if they set a standard at 1 qt. per. 1000 miles than they should stick to that standard when it falls below the threshold...Frustrating.. I guess I will make an appointment for next week and see what happens..

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Hi. My 2014 Optima Ex is burning a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. 138,000 on vehicle.. I called the KIA customer care number to request a case number so I can start an oil consumption test. I got a case number but the rep said there is not a recall for oil consumption on these vehicles so since I am out of warranty she was not sure what could be done but to get the diagnosis first and we can go from there... I was under the impression that if the oil consumption was more than a quart every 1000 miles regardless of mileage than Kia would and has replaced the engine. Anybody have advice on what i should do?
Keep getting the oil consumption diagnosed and pertaining numbers on file at the dealer.
Until told otherwise, keep driving it until it disables - or puts you on the shoulder of the road.

Kia and Hyundai don't generally replace the block, if the engine is running well and it's relatively quiet. Are there exceptions?..... sure. If you have Exception proof, then show it to both Kia Inc and the dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Actually have never seen in writing or any documentation to the fact that oil usage in excess of 1 qt p/1000 miles would require an engine replacement, but probably some threshold that most use as average. The excess oil consumption that migrates into an engine seizure would be the best bet, then they would do a replacement, other than that keep after them and continue driving. Like I said, our '11 used oil for 70,000 miles as it continually deteriorated to the qt p/300 miles, but ran fine. Daughter's 2017 SantaFe 2.4 (72,000 miles) started using oil last August, a lot of oil, then the engine seized in November, only 20 miles after the knock sensor code came on and the 2000 rpm limit. Towed to dealer engine replaced.

Fighting the customer with this condition is not the best for customer satisfaction, but that's why they haven't seen the 650,000 cars sold in 2016, but they're getting close. Guess people have short memories.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 11 EX is the same way. Figured out a couple thousand miles ago that the valve cover seal and high pressure fuel pump seal was bad and replaced those. Thought that would have fixed the problem but still going though oil. No dropping anywhere and no smoke, so idk where the oil even goes. I've got the same mileage and go through the same amount of oil.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Years ago, when driving an oil burner one would see the telltale blue smoke out of the exhaust, but with the advent of the catalytic converter, no smoke, at least until the converter goes south.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 11 EX is the same way. Figured out a couple thousand miles ago that the valve cover seal and high pressure fuel pump seal was bad and replaced those. Thought that would have fixed the problem but still going though oil. No dropping anywhere and no smoke, so idk where the oil even goes. I've got the same mileage and go through the same amount of oil.
Are the 2011's under recall? Did you try going to get an oil consumption test and see if Kia would help you? I recently tried and was told oil consumption not part of the recall even though they have replaced engines in the past for excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes many times over like other Kias. Here is the engine block extended warranty (which Kia has agreed to make a vehicle lifetime warranty if engine seizing is caused by rod bearing failure): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10094572-5448.pdf

From this source that provides many of the TSB information (its on '13 optima so dial in your MY):
2013 Kia Optima TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Luck and Merry New Year!
I have now called Kia twice and both times they have told me oil consumption is not part of the recall and they cannot do anything for the issue. There are a few people on this forum that have gotten engine replacements because of high oil consumption but it appears Kia has done an about face. In fact i am being told now to not even do the oil consumption test because Kia could "find" a different reason to blame it on and hurt my chances later if the engine fails. Like Turbonut said, someone brought their vehicle in for oil consumption and they said it was piston rings and later if the engine fails it would not be covered. So I do not know what to do.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear. If the engine feels strong then the oil is most likely getting past the valve oil seals.
If it were mine, I would use thicker oil, like Shells Rotella T6, its an 0-40. It won't solve the problem, but hopefully reduce how often you need to add oil.

Do you have a mechanic you can really trust? If so, a compression test will tell if the rings are worn/bad or not. If not then its valve seals. Ask him how much to redo those, its not a complete engine tear down so not as expensive. Or just keep driving as is. Luck and Merry New Year.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
I have now called Kia twice and both times they have told me oil consumption is not part of the recall and they cannot do anything for the issue. There are a few people on this forum that have gotten engine replacements because of high oil consumption but it appears Kia has done an about face. In fact i am being told now to not even do the oil consumption test because Kia could "find" a different reason to blame it on and hurt my chances later if the engine fails. Like Turbonut said, someone brought their vehicle in for oil consumption and they said it was piston rings and later if the engine fails it would not be covered. So I do not know what to do.
Kia has the right to do an ''about face''. You arrived late to the new engine block party and now must wait until your engine throws that code and puts you on the shoulder of the road.

Man-up and stop the pout. Or go buy Kleenex tissues by the case.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Kia has the right to do an ''about face''. You arrived late to the new engine block party and now must wait until your engine throws that code and puts you on the shoulder of the road.

Quite a reply to someone asking for help while owning an oil burner that should be covered by the manufacturer, but with so many,
guess they want to cut the bleeding money. It would be different if Kia/Hyundai never replaced engines due to high oil consumption,
but for them to take an about face, true colors come out. Just another company to avoid, and I know I'm done after 12 years.
Comparing this '11 2.0T to the '08 2.4, other than body design & numerous amenities,e.g. heated steering wheel, htd/cooled seats,
etc, the car is junk, crappy engine, suspension rides like a truck, stiff as a board seats, noisy, A/C compressor problems etc, but
with the turbo it's sure fun to drive.

OP-What else can one do, just keep driving the car. I did mention in another thread, as the stealership stated that they took an
oil sample and Kia stated it was worn rings and with most people it work work, but if it were me, they would have a tiger by the tail.
Get my own sample and go from there. Maybe the engine will go.

Remember, most of the service writers are trained to give lip service and overwhelm the general public, feed them a line and most
are gullible and accept what they are told, hey it's coming from the service writer, halfwits. The people I've dealt with, 4 different
dealerships, were absolute jerks and lied through their teeth. After engine replacement problems, needed to call the owner's daughter
and got that straightened out as with 25 dealerships they take an active roll in correcting problems quickly.

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
If so, a compression test will tell if the rings are worn/bad or not. If not then its valve seals. Ask him how much to redo those, its not a complete engine tear down so not as expensive. Or just keep driving as is. Luck and Merry New Year.
what you can do,is first do the regular compression test, Then add a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder, so that the rings might get a better seal. then do another test. If the compression goes up a considerable amount, chances are, ,your rings are leaking. There's this 'soak" that is mentioned over at www.bobistheoilguy.com .The MMO piston soak. Take plugs out, add 1or 2 oz. Of marvel Mystery oil or similiar, into each cylinder. Let soak for at least 24 hours,longer if possible. What that does is loosen up the piston rings,if they are gummed up, so that they seal better and burn less oil.Right after the soaking time,place some rags over the spark plug holes ,remove the fuel pump fuse, then crank the engine to blow out the excess oil out, install plugs,fuse,then turn engine on and let it burn off MMO.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Whoa, Cowboy... Nobody is pouting. I am simply saying that these engines have a major recall and that they were replacing engines before for high oil consumption and now they are not. Oil consumption was usually a pre-cursor to engine failure...... You coming hard for what? Bad day? Or are you a Kia service writer ?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite a reply to someone asking for help while owning an oil burner that should be covered by the manufacturer, but with so many,
guess they want to cut the bleeding money. It would be different if Kia/Hyundai never replaced engines due to high oil consumption,
but for them to take an about face, true colors come out. Just another company to avoid, and I know I'm done after 12 years.
Comparing this '11 2.0T to the '08 2.4, other than body design & numerous amenities,e.g. heated steering wheel, htd/cooled seats,
etc, the car is junk, crappy engine, suspension rides like a truck, stiff as a board seats, noisy, A/C compressor problems etc, but
with the turbo it's sure fun to drive.

OP-What else can one do, just keep driving the car. I did mention in another thread, as the stealership stated that they took an
oil sample and Kia stated it was worn rings and with most people it work work, but if it were me, they would have a tiger by the tail.
Get my own sample and go from there. Maybe the engine will go.

Remember, most of the service writers are trained to give lip service and overwhelm the general public, feed them a line and most
are gullible and accept what they are told, hey it's coming from the service writer, halfwits. The people I've dealt with, 4 different
dealerships, were absolute jerks and lied through their teeth. After engine replacement problems, needed to call the owner's daughter
and got that straightened out as with 25 dealerships they take an active roll in correcting problems quickly.
Like you said. Quite a response indeed. Must be a Kia service writer or having a bad day.. Whatever. I canceled the oil consumption test since they are not going to help me and am trying to figure out if i should close the case with Kia since again they won't do anything.. Happy New Year!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts