Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
12/2013 ROTM
2013 KIA Optima
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got off the phone with MGP and they DO offer them without any engraving on them at all. I was not a fan of the fake rivets but I think having a solid surface cover would look good. I'm planning to probably create a stencil of either K5 or Optima and then paint it on with some caliper paint. Going to get the black power coat and then use probably a white or some kind of silver for the lettering. Also, in response to a poster in a previous thread, these do not suffer from the same overheating issues as those fake plastic brembo's. They actually draw the heat away from the caliper due to being made from aluminum.What is everyone's thoughts?

-Ash

Edit: Here is a picture of them with no engraving...

·
Registered
2011 kia optimus
1,411 Posts
Hmmmmm.... that it's all lol jp I would like to see the covers before I say anything else lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to be painting mine with a rust oleum enamel. Ive been swaying back and forth and for the price of those covers.. Not worth it in my opinion. Make sure before you order anything that you have the space between the caliper and the wheel to fit the covers.. Just a suggestion.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,519 Posts
I've heard horror stories of them coming off and breaking into a million pieces into the wheel and the brakes and causing damage. I would not put them on my car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts
I've done a lot of research on these and despite the claims, they DO NOT dissipate heat at all. They have no airflow to the calipers and cause brake fade. I've also heard of them coming off and breaking as well. Most of them say to just use a silicon adhesive to the caliper. It's not bolted on or anything. Do as you wish, but I'd rather put the money towards painting my calipers vs screwing my car up for some cheap covers that make it "appear" to have bigger brakes. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
12/2013 ROTM
2013 KIA Optima
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
These are made of aircraft aluminum and have welded clips that bolt onto the caliper. They are not those plastic glue on things that come off and get destroyed on the wheels. Not arguing or anything just making sure we are discussing the same thing. ;)

Caliper Cover Heat Test:

-Ash

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,519 Posts
These are made of aircraft aluminum and have welded clips that bolt onto the caliper. They are not those plastic glue on things that come off and get destroyed on the wheels. Not arguing or anything just making sure we are discussing the same thing. ;)

-Ash
After searching around for a few minutes it appears that a few of the stories I had seen were of the knockoff version of these and not this product. If using aircraft aluminum it sounds like it would hold up much better than the cheap plastic versions out there on eBay.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts

Caliper Cover Heat Test:

-Ash
Does it clip on using clips, bolt on using bolts, or some other combination?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
12/2013 ROTM
2013 KIA Optima
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They have adjustable clips that use a nut to secure it in place. There are a few other videos that show the installation process and you can see how they attach better.

And no, I'm not a company spokesman. Lol

-Ash

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,166 Posts
If I'm not mistaken Scottmuffman has these on his car. He would be a good source to ask to see if there are any issues.
Never had any issues with the caliper covers and these are not plastic!!!!!! No rusting easy to install. I just sprayed mine with red rust proof paint to get rid of the logos

·
12/2013 ROTM
2013 KIA Optima
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks for the first-hand input Scott. I have also thought about doing some kind of two color paint design on them too. Having blank ones (or painting the logos out like you did) gives an open slate to be creative.

-Ash

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
52 Posts
I've had the MGP caliper covers on my car for nearly a year. Not one issue whatsoever. They look as good as the day I put them on and I've been complimented on them repeatedly. They're red and they stand out great on my black car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had the MGP caliper covers on my car for nearly a year. Not one issue whatsoever. They look as good as the day I put them on and I've been complimented on them repeatedly. They're red and they stand out great on my black car.

how about some pics :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Never had any issues with the caliper covers and these are not plastic!!!!!! No rusting easy to install. I just sprayed mine with red rust proof paint to get rid of the logos

+1, I installed mine over a year ago and have had no issues with them. They look the same as the same day I bought them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts