Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking into buying a gun for awhile. But im not really sure how to go about this in california especially with all the laws changing.

I know I can do a online purchase and transfer to a store but what can i not get and what do i have to do in order for those to work?

sorry I'm a newbie :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would start by buying from a local gun shop. They will know what you can buy and you will get a lot of free info. Some ranges will allow you to rent a gun. Try that a few times to get a feel for what you like. It needs to be comfortable to hold and fire.

Also consider the cost of the ammo. You need a lot of range time if you are going to own a gun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ive been looking into buying a gun for awhile. But im not really sure how to go about this in california especially with all the laws changing.

I know I can do a online purchase and transfer to a store but what can i not get and what do i have to do in order for those to work?

I would suggest joining a forum dedicated to California gun owners to do some research on laws as well as shops in your area with the best customer service, selection and of course pricing. In short, as mentioned above rent as many different brands in a couple common calibers to find what is best suited for the role this firearm will play in your life (target , home defense, competitive shooting, etc.). You should consider taking hunter's safety or basic gun handling course prior to renting to start your journey if you haven't already.

Forum: Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

CA state approved gun list: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Basic summary of handgun laws by state. Its a good reference point but not all inclusive so be sure to double check state official references : http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf
Keep in mind when researching within state laws, more restrictive aspects of that law can and do exist many times by county. This applies in any state.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you an NRA member? I'd take a look at their website for basic information and the latest links to California affiliates.

If you have anything specific, I'm a Golden Eagle.

Tim

·
Registered
177 Posts

Man I had a nephew whom is a Doctor, he was at Stanford Medical Hospital.
The laws that California Sux's.

I learned about them a while back.
You got a approved list for the weapons you can carry. And you got to Pay to have them registered if I remember right.

If I was you and looking at a new pistol, I would check to make sure its on the approved list and I think it is.

I'd consider a Springfield Range Officer Compact.

You are gonna have to choose the caliper.
I myself like the 45

<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts