Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blacked out all chrome except fenders, handles, and Optima badge. Used Avery satin black. Will do the handles and try the fenders another day. Might take the handles off to do them proper. Also, looking at the black emblems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That looks fantastic, although as much of a chrome guy I am not, I do like the accents on our cars with the chrome pieces. It's tasteful, but at the same time I can understand some guys can get tired of it overtime. It's always nice to switch things from every now and again. I am wondering why you choose to go the permanent route with the paint rather than just wrapping vinyl (on the chrome pieces). Reason I say that is because, the paint begins to peel over time (I've done things like this before), you'll see as rocks hit it, so you'll be taking it off and repainting it over time etc, rather you get vinyl, you can wrap and forget. Also for the side rockers, I would think it would be pretty cool to look into some 7D carbon fiber wrap. Its such a small chrome piece that wrapping it with something simple but yet elegant would just put the finishing touches on your car. I'd definitely like to ride her. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I didn't mind the chrome that much but wanted to try it black. I did use vinyl, Avery. Good idea about maybe something different for the fenders. I will have to think about that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also think the chrome trim looks pretty good, but I'm equally a fan of chrome deletes on these cars. I've watched YouTube videos about how to do it, because I want to do it on my '21 K5. How long did it take / was it difficult at all?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also think the chrome trim looks pretty good, but I'm equally a fan of chrome deletes on these cars. I've watched YouTube videos about how to do it, because I want to do it on my '21 K5. How long did it take / was it difficult at all?
I probably watched 12-15 videos on how to do it. I wanted multiple perspectives. It was not that difficult at all. It took time. I spent the better part of last Saturday doing it with breaks for lunch, dinner, and a few household chores mixed in. If I had to guess, I would say maybe 4-5 total hours. I took my time and had to redo the driver's door (it was the first one I did). I also tried both driver's side handles but took it off since I didn't like the job. I think the Optima maybe a good car since the seals and trim have a nice groove between to guide the cut. The best thing I changed was to use a glove. I just a winter knit glove. Made it so much easier and faster than my bare hand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I probably watched 12-15 videos on how to do it. I wanted multiple perspectives. It was not that difficult at all. It took time. I spent the better part of last Saturday doing it with breaks for lunch, dinner, and a few household chores mixed in. If I had to guess, I would say maybe 4-5 total hours. I took my time and had to redo the driver's door (it was the first one I did). I also tried both driver's side handles but took it off since I didn't like the job. I think the Optima maybe a good car since the seals and trim have a nice groove between to guide the cut.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've watched a handful of videos myself, but I'm still trying to decide if I have the patience for it. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I didn't mind the chrome that much but wanted to try it black. I did use vinyl, Avery. Good idea about maybe something different for the fenders. I will have to think about that.
Good man. I think you did a great job with the vinyl, and something that I was hoping you used instead of painting it - because the paint doesn't last. Car looks great though, just as it sits right now! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
150 Posts
That car always reminds me of a foreign, European luxury sports car. So I prefer chrome over black trim.
I doubt the paint holds up. If you are first and last owner of that vehicle, you may need to reapply it within five years and the lifespan of coverage will keep getting shorter, due to a buildup over time.

Personally, I would not have tried that, basically because I do not trade-in or sell vehicles prematurely to old age. That trim (if left untouched), will look terrible in 5-10 years, especially if that vehicle finds a hoome in a winter road salt state.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That car always reminds me of a foreign, European luxury sports car. So I prefer chrome over black trim.
I doubt the paint holds up. If you are first and last owner of that vehicle, you may need to reapply it within five years and the lifespan of coverage will keep getting shorter, due to a buildup over time.

Personally, I would not have tried that, basically because I do not trade-in or sell vehicles prematurely to old age. That trim (if left untouched), will look terrible in 5-10 years, especially if that vehicle finds a hoome in a winter road salt state.
Thanks. I didn't use paint, I used vinyl and is something I can redo if it starts to fail and/or I decide I don't like it. I don't replace vehicles either. Before this car, I had my truck for 18 years and my wife has hers for 15.

·
Registered
18 Posts

As his post above, he used vinyl, not paint. And the paint won't last 5-10 years. It might look good for a year. I've painted many trim pieces in my day and it just doesn't last. Which is why I would recommend anyone to use vinyl, plus and again, as he said above, he can remove it when he gets tired of it. I think it looks great, and his choice to use vinyl, I applaud him. Car looks awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.