Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Kia Optima with approximately 85,000 miles seems to be burning oil. The other day the oil light came on for a second or so a couple of times while driving. I took it to Big O Tires and they needed to put in two quarts of oil. I had a regular oil change scheduled at the dealer and mentioned it. The service advisor said to bring it back in a month and they'll check it. Is there anything I can do but wait? Would a compression check pinpoint the problem? I bought it as a resale at 51,000 miles and it has an extended warranty. The service advisor said I might need a new engine. I hope to avoid that and drama. I can trade it in before the drama ensues. I have had nicer cars like Lexuses and Infinitis but the Optima is pretty nice. It has air and Android adaptability which allows me to use Google Map and listen to Spotify and Sirius. That's all I really need.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Welcome to the group, and the oil consumption is just because of the crappy engine design that wears prematurely. Keep the oil in the safe zone and see what the advisor says, but my advice, just keep doing the proper maintenance, add oil when necessary and drive the car. If the engine seizes, it has a lifetime warranty so they'll replace it with another crappy engine, but at least it won't cost you anything, except inconvenience.

At times they'll go through a qt in 500/600 miles, so keep an eye on the level, and when the oil light comes on, it's not an indicator of low oil, it's letting you know the oil pump isn't supplying oil to the engine and if one would continue to drive, the engine would seize and you'd be stuck with the repair for allowing the engine to operate with no oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the group, and the oil consumption is just because of the crappy engine design that wears prematurely. Keep the oil in the safe zone and see what the advisor says, but my advice, just keep doing the proper maintenance, add oil when necessary and drive the car. If the engine seizes, it has a lifetime warranty so they'll replace it with another crappy engine, but at least it won't cost you anything, except inconvenience.

At times they'll go through a qt in 500/600 miles, so keep an eye on the level, and when the oil light comes on, it's not an indicator of low oil, it's letting you know the oil pump isn't supplying oil to the engine and if one would continue to drive, the engine would seize and you'd be stuck with the repair for allowing the engine to operate with no oil.
Does the lifetime warranty apply to certain years based on a court case? I 've read mixed messages. I have a 2020 Optima bought used with 47k doing great at this time but concerned down the road. It only have the 5yr 60k. Is there coverage for these issues on all regardless of warranty if you happen to know?? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the lifetime warranty apply to certain years based on a court case? I 've read mixed messages. I have a 2020 Optima bought used with 47k doing great at this time but concerned down the road. It only have the 5yr 60k. Is there coverage for these issues on all regardless of warranty if you happen to know?? Thanks
I have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
The 1.6 isn't included in any recall/ settlement, factory warranty only, or the aftermarket warranty that you have.

If you have the 2.4 or 2.T, I'd call Kia because it's the same engine used in the prior years, but the settlement, lifetime warranty, as it's stated, ends at 2019.
If it were Hyundai, the last year they used these crappy engines 2019, but Kia was 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1.6 isn't included in any recall/ settlement, factory warranty only, or the aftermarket warranty that you have.

If you have the 2.4 or 2.T, I'd call Kia because it's the same engine used in the prior years, but the settlement, lifetime warranty, as it's stated, ends at 2019.
If it were Hyundai, the last year they used these crappy engines 2019, but Kia was 2020.
I have an extended warranty. I'm thinking of trading it in now. I'm too old for drama. I'm kind of disappointed because it's a nice car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have an extended warranty. I'm thinking of trading it in now. I'm too old for drama. I'm kind of disappointed because it's a nice car.
Crazy part is they don't all fail, we mostly hear of failures. Mine is at almost 204K and still purrs while only using about 8 ounces over a 3K OCI. It hasn't always been treated that nice. PO, friend of mine sold it cheap, had all receipts. Though he says and thinks he did 5K OCIs, the receipts show different.

3 times went 10K
2 times went 8K
2 times went 7K
rest were 5K, not the 3K called for as a turbo.

He also always turned down the 30K service which would include intake cleaning.

And despite that sort of abuse, here it is. I have been nicer with the OCIs and have cleaned intake.
It'll probably blow like all the others eventually yet hopefully a new block kit will come.

So you never know, yours could be one of the 'Good' ones...

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
41 Posts

Hyundai still used the 2.4 and 2.0T in the Santa Fe in 2020

1 - 13 of 13 Posts