Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 2013 EX that I bought in January of this year with around 70k miles on it. Ever since I bought it it has had a weird bumpiness to it, it feels like there is a nail or screw in both front tires causing the bumpiness but there isn’t anything. Additionally, the car pulls to the left. This isn’t an alignment issue, since the steering wheel itself turns slightly to the left when not being held in the centered position. When I hold the wheel in it’s centered position the car drives straight. The bumpiness is very annoying and it feels like the front tires are going to fall off at any moment. I have since changed all four tires and the dealer hasn’t been able to find anything causing the issue. Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Sonata
52 Posts
You may need to take it into a professional alignment shop, it could be anything really, bad bushings, warped rotors, axles not balanced, wheel balance, rims warped etc. There is no way to know exactly what is wrong without someone replicating the issue. Found that the dealer is not always good with troubleshooting more technical issues. FYI if the alignment is correct, it would track straight, not pull to the left and you should not have to hold it going straight.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,060 Posts
If the car drives straight when holding the wheel centered, but pulls left when hands removed, alignment problem. I originally thought you were going to say that the car tracks straight, but the steering wheel is off center, and that would be a lazy tech not centering the steering wheel when doing the alignment.
As far as the bumpiness, our '11 EX-T does the same thing. Not harsh, but almost feels like small ripples in the road at certain speeds, and I can assure you nothing wrong with the tires/suspension, but that suspension on ours is the pits as there is no resilience at all. It's as if there were no struts at all on the car and the body was affixed to the frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My buddy had this problem.. he not only had a slightly bent wheel but his camber was off..in time his struts got old and the car started to sag and it caused his camber to be out of spec and it took a professional tire shop to correct it.. the camber caused the tires to be a little out of round and the car would pull..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,060 Posts
Thanks for the post, but your buddy's scenario is not what we're, or at least not what I'm experiencing. Wheel not bent as the tires are rotated regularly and the subtle sensation can still be felt, alignment good, camber/toe good, tires wearing perfectly. In fact, you can take the tires off, place them in an upright position and they will remain upright on their own.
To add, no problem with the suspension components as the car rides just as stiff as when we purchased it last year, no leaks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Optima SX
4 Posts
I have to admit.. it sounds a lot like you at least have a bent rim.. they almost always bend on the inside, and vibration tends to accentuate during high speed while turning.

Thanks for the post, but your buddy's scenario is not what we're, or at least not what I'm experiencing. Wheel not bent as the tires are rotated regularly and the subtle sensation can still be felt, alignment good, camber/toe good, tires wearing perfectly. In fact, you can take the tires off, place them in an upright position and they will remain upright on their own.
To add, no problem with the suspension components as the car rides just as stiff as when we purchased it last year, no leaks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,060 Posts
I have to admit.. it sounds a lot like you at least have a bent rim.. they almost always bend on the inside, and vibration tends to accentuate during high speed while turning.
I've checked, no bent wheel as the slight bumpiness is the same no matter how the tires are rotated and only felt at certain speeds, usually <45. Yesterday in the 60-80mph range, the car was flawless as it's a blast to drive at the higher speeds, probably due to the very stiff suspension and the turbo to accelerate whenever needed.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Optima SX
4 Posts
just a guess.. but perhaps it's a strut issue.. the effectiveness of the dampening could change at different speeds.. but usually high frequency bumps get missed by an ineffective strut, not low frequency.

I've checked, no bent wheel as the slight bumpiness is the same no matter how the tires are rotated and only felt at certain speeds, usually <45. Yesterday in the 60-80mph range, the car was flawless as it's a blast to drive at the higher speeds, probably due to the very stiff suspension and the turbo to accelerate whenever needed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,060 Posts
just a guess.. but perhaps it's a strut issue.. the effectiveness of the dampening could change at different speeds.. but usually high frequency bumps get missed by an ineffective strut, not low frequency.
Thanks, but must say the struts are fine, in fact they are like the struts that I have on our RX7 Turbo, they are rock hard. We thought our Acura TL rode hard until we got the Kia, now the Acura feels like a Cadillac after driving the Kia. The 97 load index doesn't help, but if I had the desire, I'd replace the Turbo struts with the ones for the LX, but too much trouble/$$$.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
What about this: something loose inside the tire? That way, it might jiggle or bump at some speeds, but also might stay in place and then not feel bumpy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts