Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So far the car idles nice and smooth,acceleration has improved quite a bit. However today for the first time, torque app registered 19 psi of boost!! Will that be considered over boosting since the app takes data directly from the ecu? Cant wait for the catback and possibly fmic or at the very least, Wagner ic.

If you overboost (which you wont in warmer weather) you'll know it as your car will suddenly go into limp mode. Do grab a good catback although a good aftermarket intercooler will help more. Enjoy!

Trying to understand why the torque app would be reading over 17.4 psi. Today I got 18psi, yesterday 19psi. But not constantly. By intercooler you mean Wagner or custom fmic? What should I do if the car goes into limp mode?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So...after a spirited run, I popped the hood open and noticed the new hose I used to connect from the pcv valve to the cc. I noticed it was flat! Like all the air was sucked out. So it's a very soft nylon hose. I removed it and I plugged the original back to pcv for now till i go to an auto parts store and get a proper hose.
Forgive me if the following sounds like I'm insulting your intelligence--is your OCC a single- or dual-inlet one? Regardless, are you positive you didn't accidentally swap the inlet and outlet hose connections when connecting your hoses? Yes IIRC I believe the OCC has the inlet labelled but brain farts are possible.
They were indeed backwards. I went with a YouTube video that did it all wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
547 Posts
Hoses are backwards. Pick up some 3/8 fuel line hose from auto parts store to replace the inferior hose that came with the can.
LOL you beat me to it--I thought something seemed odd when I read OP's follow-up post; IIRC one hose goes from the PCV (that's on the top of the engine cover) to the inlet-labelled opening on the OCC, then another hose from the OCC outlet to the intake manifold (which is where the pre-OCC install original hose coming from the PCV routes to).

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
547 Posts
They were indeed backwards. I went with a YouTube video that did it all wrong. Thanks for the heads up.
Glad to see you found the issue! LOL yeah one can't trust/believe everything that's on YouTube; in fact, I think I did come across one of those incorrect OCC install videos but luckily for me I did some more research and ultimately discovering the correct way to install it.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad to see you found the issue! LOL yeah one can't trust/believe everything that's on YouTube; in fact, I think I did come across one of those incorrect OCC install videos but luckily for me I did some more research and ultimately discovering the correct way to install it.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Looks much better. It looks cleaner when hooked up backwards, but guess that's just how they designed it. Hows the chip working?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks much better. It looks cleaner when hooked up backwards, but guess that's just how they designed it. Hows the chip working?
Works great. Car pulls harder and longer.
Throttle response is better. This could be due to the hks plugs?? Anyway, loving it so far. Shift points have also changed. I noticed in sport mode, it revs higher before changing gears. I'm actually looking for ward to seeing what the can catches. When I unscrewed the oil cap,I noticed some sludge underneath the cap. I put my finger in the valve cover and removed some sludge as well. Is this normal? I think before next oil change I'll dump a can of seafoam in the crankcase and another in the gas tank.
I'm thinking of putting my car on the dyno to see what kind of power it's making.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
283 Posts
My OCC has collected a few ounces of liquid so far. Mixture of oil and fuel blow by. Smells terrible. I don't think sludge under the valve cover is normal, unless there was an owner before you that may not have kept up with maintenance. You can actually run Seafoam from the "out" hose on your OCC to the intake manifold. Have a friend hold the idle steady while you let the Seafoam get sucked up through the hose. New plugs usually always make the car feel smoother at idle. I plan on swapping out mine with HKS after I pick up a chip.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My OCC has collected a few ounces of liquid so far. Mixture of oil and fuel blow by. Smells terrible. I don't think sludge under the valve cover is normal, unless there was an owner before you that may not have kept up with maintenance. You can actually run Seafoam from the "out" hose on your OCC to the intake manifold. Have a friend hold the idle steady while you let the Seafoam get sucked up through the hose. New plugs usually always make the car feel smoother at idle. I plan on swapping out mine with HKS after I pick up a chip.
Will this method foul the plugs?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, through the torque app, I'm only getting 190hp and 15.4 1/4 mile.
Seems odd . I've registered as much as 21 lbs of boost. Definitely feels faster than a 15 sec car.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts