Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Kia Optima SX turbo. I had been keeping up with my oil changes for years until 2020. We can all agree 2020 was a year from ****. I am currently 2 oil changes behind and I hate it. My dad is going to teach me how to change the oil myself which I am more than willing. Since I’m so behind on the oil change my question is what brand should I buy for the oil and is there anything else I should buy since I’m so behind to help? Thanks Dani

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Optima SX turbo. I had been keeping up with my oil changes for years until 2020. We can all agree 2020 was a year from ****. I am currently 2 oil changes behind and I hate it. My dad is going to teach me how to change the oil myself which I am more than willing. Since I’m so behind on the oil change my question is what brand should I buy for the oil and is there anything else I should buy since I’m so behind to help? Thanks Dani
I use valvoline 5w 40 synthetic, i don’t know how well that will work with a stock optima but Mine is highly modified and it runs great.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Generally speaking, as long as regular/scheduled oil changes are performed using the proper oil weight it doesn't really matter what brand oil you choose to use other than perhaps leaning towards going with one of the more reputable brands (e.g., Castrol/Mobil/Valvoline/Pennzoil--or if money is no object, Royal Purple/Amsoil).

As far as what else to buy--if you're looking to do your own oil changes then you need to replace the oil filter as well; that, plus a container to catch the drained oil, tools to remove the oil drain plug and underbody panel (to get to the oil filter), oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter (not unless you have really strong hands), a funnel for pouring new oil back into your engine (not unless your bottle pouring skills are really exemplary--otherwise you risk getting some spilled oil on the engine cover and other parts), at least a pair of jack stands and/or floor jack if don't have either of them in your auto repair tool arsenal, gloves so that you don't get oil on your hands, rags/towels to wipe up any excess/spilled oil, maybe a mat to prevent any spilled oil from getting on your garage floor/driveway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use valvoline 5w 40 synthetic, i don’t know how well that will work with a stock optima but Mine is highly modified and it runs great.
Thank you! I went and bought 5w-20 synthetic. My oil was nasty. She should be happier now.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Thank you! I went and bought 5w-20 synthetic. My oil was nasty. She should be happier now.
You posted this topic on the wrong board. This board features the new 2021+ Optimas.

Buy Dexos 1 5w30 or Dexos 2 5w40 next time. Better protection for your 2014 turbo engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts