Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a 2013 Kia Optima EX, and have been hearing a shaking noise in my front end when i travel at high speeds. So I was recently driving on the highway, about 70-75, when i went around a corner and felt as if my driver side tire wasn’t even turning, making a strange almost grinding sound, and sending my car sideways (regained control). Everytime i go high speeds (50+), take a corner, or am on a bumpy road, i hear the same shaking sounds in the front end. I am thinking it’s my strut/suspension, however am not sure, because I am also having a problem with my brakes becoming warped and pulsating very bad. I have replaced rotors and pads, had them machined very recently, and not 3 weeks later they were back to the awful pulsating banging noise. Also strange to note that it’s almost the same noise i hear when traveling high speeds. Any help or advicr would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Brakes rotors are very rarely warped and is a common miscoception. When your run out is out of spec you will get vibration under braking. The main reason fro run out is the hub and rotor arent perfectly flat. You can get a run out meauring set and check to see if they are with in spec, a good way to prevent excessive run out is to take the roto off the hub and clean both the rotor hat and the hub with a bronze cone brush on a drill. This get all the rust and junk off the surface. Then take a very very small amount of antisieze and spread it out on the hub surface in a thin film. Then re assemble. As fro you steering issue it might not be the struts, carefully inspect both your steering linkage and you cv axels, it could also be that the front brakes may have been improperly assembled when the pads and rotors where replaced. Is the car making a clicking sound when you turn. This is a serious safety issue I would recommend that you take it to a reliable shop that can properly diagnose the issue. Its extremely difficult to diagnose the issue based on a written description, it really needs to be physically looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response, I am attaching a video of the noise it makes when braking. Yes you could describe it as a clicking noise when turning, almost the same noise it makes when braking just more subtle.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/543458076[/
rakes rotors are very rarely warped and is a common miscoception. When your run out is out of spec you will get vibration under braking. The main reason fro run out is the hub and rotor arent perfectly flat. You can get a run out meauring set and check to see if they are with in spec, a good way to prevent excessive run out is to take the roto off the hub and clean both the rotor hat and the hub with a bronze cone brush on a drill. This get all the rust and junk off the surface. Then take a very very small amount of antisieze and spread it out on the hub surface in a thin film. Then re assemble. As fro you steering issue it might not be the struts, carefully inspect both your steering linkage and you cv axels, it could also be that the front brakes may have been improperly assembled when the pads and rotors where replaced. Is the car making a clicking sound when you turn. This is a serious safety issue I would recommend that you take it to a reliable shop that can properly diagnose the issue. Its extremely difficult to diagnose the issue based on a written description, it really needs to be physically looked at
QUOTE]

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,193 Posts
If this is your wheel bearings you need to get it fixed asap or you're gonna see your wheel passing you on the highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can check bearings and ball joints by jacking up the wheel and by grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions trying to rock it back and forth. There should be no play. If there is it is a wheel bearing issue. Doing the same thing at 12 and 6 checks the ball joints - although I assume if there was play 3/9 it would also be present 12/6. Play in either direction is bad news

1 - 5 of 5 Posts