Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its almost time to replace my brakes. Is there a decent upgrade? Don't need to go crazy but something a bit better than factory would be better.

Thanks

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,088 Posts
Yes we can help you with that. Send us an email to [email protected] with what you are interested in, and we will get back to you with pricing options.

An entire set of Stoptech premium slotted rotors for front and back, and Stoptech brakepads front and back would cost you around $400 from us.

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
1,136 Posts
Are you talking about replacing calipers (Big Brake kit) or just changing pads ?.......If you want a cheap alternative to a BBK consider the swap that a few have done (including myself) Hyundai XG350 dual piston calipers are a direct bolt on replacement pretty much for Optima front brakes, you will just need SX front rotors if you have the smaller ones. the calipers can be found for around $80 a piece and its a pretty significant improvement over the factory single piston.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/130-optima-performance/109873-2-piston-brake-upgrade.html

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Its almost time to replace my brakes. Is there a decent upgrade? Don't need to go crazy but something a bit better than factory would be better.

Thanks
If you have the SX or SXL model then you only really need some better brake pads since the brakes are very good stock.

However, if you have the other models with smaller brakes then I would look into the K5 store for larger upgrades or the Dual-piston OEM upgrade maybe

For just pads I would look at buying some EBC Red pads for better stopping power with the stock rotors.

Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Are you talking about replacing calipers (Big Brake kit) or just changing pads ?.......If you want a cheap alternative to a BBK consider the swap that a few have done (including myself) Hyundai XG350 dual piston calipers are a direct bolt on replacement pretty much for Optima front brakes, you will just need SX front rotors if you have the smaller ones. the calipers can be found for around $80 a piece and its a pretty significant improvement over the factory single piston.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/130-optima-performance/109873-2-piston-brake-upgrade.html

As for rotors, there is none better imo than drilled or slotted from R1 Performance. Kevin there can hook you up. As for brake pads, I recommend and use Hawk HPS on my fronts and a ceramic on my rear. As for the mod Julian is talking about, its a very low cost one that works quite effectively as you are doubling the pistons in the caliper for more stopping power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will be doing this upgrade soon. Rears should be fine stock yes? Also, I plan on geting steel lines, do the need to be longer ones for this upgrade?

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
1,136 Posts
I will be doing this upgrade soon. Rears should be fine stock yes? Also, I plan on geting steel lines, do the need to be longer ones for this upgrade?
Lines can be same length as stock. Where are you getting your steel lines ? I found some, but they are around $250 a set (F+R).

·
Registered
279 Posts

What year are those calipers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Blackpearl
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing