Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this community. I have a concern that I need advice. My 2019 Kia Optima has 6,885 miles and I noticed the brakes stuttered when braking. I took my car to a Kia dealer and they had to reshape all 4 of my rotors. The work was done under warranty, but should I have requested brand new rotors. The warranty ticket said excessive rotor wear.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
There's a couple of thoughts on this. My thoughts are that a rotor should never be turned, but having said that, Kia Corporate authorizes the dealerships to turn rotors, however I would always check the rotor thickness after being turned to make certain the rotors don't fall below the minimum thickness that is stamped on the rotor. Being a relatively new vehicle, I can't condemn the procedure unless someone were to mic the thickness after turning, then, if below minimum thickness there would be proof that new rotors should have been installed, but as a customer, you won't get anywhere demanding new rotors without any justification/proof.

Just drive the car and forget about the repair, but next time when pulsation starts, or pads need replacement, I'd certainly go for new rotors, but once again proof of thickness makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not knowledgeable about rotor thickness. What would be an optimal thickness so I can inquire what the thickness is on my car after the repair. Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Without seeing the rotor(s), I'm going to say:
Front thickness, new 1.10" service limit 1.04".
Rear new .39", service limit .33".
As stated before, the minimum is stamped on the rotor(s).
As you can see, there isn't much that needs to be removed before the rotor is under minimum thickness.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Replacing the rotors only alleviates the symptom--i.e., unless the cause of the rotor failure can be found, odds are that unless the problem was due to defective rotors to begin with, the issue could return.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
With all 4, just pad buildup on the rotors for whatever reason, maybe exceptionally hard on the brakes, or rides with left foot on the pedal.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
I plan on replacing the brakes on my 2016 in the near future. Have 61k. Can get rotors and pads for all 4 corners for under $200 (Powerstop). Its almost cheaper to just replace rotors nowadays, especially if its DIY.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I plan on replacing the brakes on my 2016 in the near future. Have 61k. Can get rotors and pads for all 4 corners for under $200 (Powerstop). Its almost cheaper to just replace rotors nowadays, especially if its DIY.
Correct. That's why many shops have stopped cutting rotors as it's easier and less expensive just to charge for new rotors. Buy them wholesale and charge list price.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
Hey Turbo, Is it possible for the rear brakes to wear out faster than the front? Rear pads seem to be 1/8" left, and front about 1/4. Also, when the squealing starts, is it the shim rubbing on the rotor, or the caliper rubbing on the rotor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts