Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Kia Optima Lx 2.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have been reading many topics trying to find the same one i am about to write. I have a 13 Optima LX 2.4 Currently my brake lights and traction control are not working. I have already replaced the Brake switch. All fuses were checked.I was told it was most likely the interior fuse block so we ordered one. Well that wasn't the fix either. Also my Air conditioner stopped working at the same time my BL and TC stopped working. I work for a GM dealership out in NY, the dealer i work for also owns a Kia Dealership on the same property. I have been having there head mechanic look at my car afterhours and he can't seem to find out why my brake lights are not working. He said that he thinks its because there is an aftermarket remote start and alarm system installed. I bought this car used about 6 months ago and didnt have a problem till recently. There is power to the brake switch and there is power to the brake lights. Has anyone had something similar to this happen to them and if so what was the final fix. Sorry for being all over the place with this and thank you in advance for any help or Knowledge

Ed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have you checked All fused under dash? I ask because a couple months ago while driving on highway from once second to next, the A/C and tach stopped working (air kept blowing but compressor stopped). Next stop I looked up A/C fuse under dash, swapped it with another for a fast test and that was it. Replaced and has not happened again, Yet.

So how far back from brake lights did mechanic trace for power to brake lights? That is the way I would figure it out, the flow has to stop somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Kia Optima Lx 2.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tested a new fuse box under the dash. Still wasn’t working. I’m not sure how far he looked but he did say he thinks it has to do with the after market remote start system. I’m guessing there was another key fob for that. Is it possible for that to malfunction months after I purchased the vehicle? I’m still dumbfounded on what could be wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I have been perusing numerous points attempting to find a similar one I am going to compose. I have a 13 Optima LX 2.4 Right now my brake lights and foothold control are not working. I have previously supplanted the Brake switch. All breakers were checked.I was informed it was undoubtedly the inside meld block so we requested one. Well that wasn't the fix by the same token.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
101 Posts
Hey i have been reading many topics trying to find the same one i am about to write. I have a 13 Optima LX 2.4 Currently my brake lights and traction control are not working. I have already replaced the Brake switch. All fuses were checked.I was told it was most likely the interior fuse block so we ordered one. Well that wasn't the fix either. Also my Air conditioner stopped working at the same time my BL and TC stopped working. I work for a GM dealership out in NY, the dealer i work for also owns a Kia Dealership on the same property. I have been having there head mechanic look at my car afterhours and he can't seem to find out why my brake lights are not working. He said that he thinks its because there is an aftermarket remote start and alarm system installed. I bought this car used about 6 months ago and didnt have a problem till recently. There is power to the brake switch and there is power to the brake lights. Has anyone had something similar to this happen to them and if so what was the final fix. Sorry for being all over the place with this and thank you in advance for any help or Knowledge

Ed.
If you have power to the brake lights, then the problem is likely a ground somewhere. A bad ground can cause all sorts of weird, seemingly unrelated issues.

·
Registered
13 Kia Optima Lx 2.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. So after 3 months of not working i got cut off and had to slam on my brakes. After i slammed on my brakes everything started working again. So it being a ground seems more and more logical. Its just very odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts