Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Kia Optima EX. The other day someone noticed that my brake lights are not coming on. The Center High Mount (3rd) brake light is working just fine. I have replaced both tail light bulbs with brand new lights. I tried testing it with all sorts of configurations (all lights on, all lights off, turn signals on as I brake, etc) to see if perhaps it is a short. I checked the fuses that appear to be related to the lighting. Nothing seems to work. I have no idea what might be causing this. I have not done any customizations with any of the lighting or any other electrical. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a wiring schematic? Any suggestions. I called a local dealership and the rep said he had not heard of this happening but if I bring it in he could have someone take a look...estimated cost starting at $100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the third light is working and the car is starting OK, that probably rules out the brake light switch on the brake pedal although it could possibly have separate contacts for the third light/starting circuit. I would probably ohm that switch out first and make sure it's working correctly. Then I'd start looking for a bad ground or a broken wire for the brake lights. You can probably check wire continuity from the brake light switch to the light fixture. Check your resistance to ground at the brake light bulb socket as well.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my car recently. I have 12 EX with the dull looking non-led tail lights. I upgraded to the LED tails and somehow for some reason it stopped working when the headlights were on. for some reason, if the headlights were on, the brake lights were ALL on, always, except the 3rd center brake light was the only one coming on and off.

I ended up just replacing everything and going back to the dull non-led tail lights after struggling for few weeks and not being able to figure it out. I think the issue is that the LED tail lights have onboard chip that controls everything and the chips were fried....

hopefully this may give you an idea? not really a solution but if you have LED tails, the chip may just be fried

1 - 3 of 3 Posts