Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can a BOV hurt my engine or turbo
It depends. If you bought a BOV plate from K5OS or eBay, you're fine. If you bought a knock off eBay GReddy or HKS, expect a bad spring, and expect possible issues down the line. TIAL is cheap and I've heard great things about them holding up to well over 30lbs if you use the stronger spring. I'd try them, they're also available on eBay for less than $65.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
It depends. If you bought a BOV plate from K5OS or eBay, you're fine. If you bought a knock off eBay GReddy or HKS, expect a bad spring, and expect possible issues down the line. TIAL is cheap and I've heard great things about them holding up to well over 30lbs if you use the stronger spring. I'd try them, they're also available on eBay for less than $65.
Wow, good point, I should have thought about that.

There are tons of fake/knockoff style BOVs sold on eBay and or Amazon that are replicas of the authentic BOVs, and those can in fact cause issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, good point, I should have thought about that.

There are tons of fake/knockoff style BOVs sold on eBay and or Amazon that are replicas of the authentic BOVs, and those can in fact cause issues.
Of course man. Love your site, and this forum is really the only active thing left for our little beaters haha.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Thank you so much for the custom-fab OCC bracket. ****'s mint.
You should really stop selling the Uncle chips though... I know you have a stock of them but I figure you know what they do to our car's engine by now..
You’re welcome, and I’m sorry, but it doesn’t do anything wrong to the engine if it is installed properly, the proper fuel is being used, and the proper spark plugs. We have sold over 3000 units in the past seven years and there has been many issues with Kia’s engines from factory. Anytime somebody has an aftermarket performance tune installed and they have an issue with their vehicle, naturally they assume that it’s the aftermarket tune causing the problem. However, I’m not really interested in getting into a full on debate here on a public forum regarding a product that has been sold out for nearly 6 months now due to the nationwide chip shortage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You’re welcome, and I’m sorry, but it doesn’t do anything wrong to the engine if it is installed properly, the proper fuel is being used, and the proper spark plugs. We have sold over 3000 units in the past seven years and there has been many issues with Kia’s engines from factory. Anytime somebody has an aftermarket performance tune installed and they have an issue with their vehicle, naturally they assume that it’s the aftermarket tune causing the problem. However, I’m not really interested in getting into a full on debate here on a public forum regarding a product that has been sold out for nearly 6 months now due to the nationwide chip shortage.
I've just heard a lot about them breaking engines, and obviously being detectable now. Also, didn't LAP3 themselves recall the chips? They don't sell them anymore either.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
I've just heard a lot about them breaking engines, and obviously being detectable now. Also, didn't LAP3 themselves recall the chips? They don't sell them anymore either.
There’s a lot of hearsay, but it’s not factual.

No, a plug and play chip like the LAP3 that we sell is not detectable, still.

There’s definitely some confusion going on here, as LAP3USA is NOT LAP3 in Korea. It’s a private vendor David Chung who is selling their products just like we are selling their products.

LAP3USA has NEVER sold the LAP3 Uncle Chip Tune we sell, not once since opening the website, and that’s because we are the North American distributor for that product directly through the manufacturer. We have a contractual agreement to be the only distributor in the United States or Canada to sell the product, so they cannot sell it.

The product is still available for sale through us, but as I mentioned previously, due to the nationwide chip shortage from Intel that is affecting multiple industries, the product cannot be manufactured without it so it is temporary on hold.

Please feel free to message me if he would like to continue this conversation as we are taking over this thread and that’s not what this was created for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts