Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
LOL the new 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel will beat it both in 0-60 and quarter-mile--and if I remember the Chevy's performance #s correctly it'll just about beat a bone-stock 2.0L Optima in both performance numbers as well. Yeah the new Silverado 2500HD has a ton of torque and much higher HP #s than the Optima, but it also weighs almost twice as much as one as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our Jeep has 285 hp.
Our F250 psd has 480 hp (with tune) 400 hp stock.
Our 1960 Falcon has 1,017 hp

Our poor old Kia has 185 hp
At least it has more hp than our lawn mower. 185 vs. 13

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
My garage door opener puts out just a piddly 3/4 HP which is not that much less than my 3-gallon air compressor which put out 1 HP...:p

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
Did they drop the horsepower in the 4th generation? Because my 3rd Gen LX makes somewhere between 220 and 250 hp... That's not saying much, but it's much higher than 185...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Believe you'll find it's 192 HP stock and would certainly like to see what you've accomplished with an N/A to see 220/250 HP. Don't see a list under your sig, so maybe you want to share the list of mods so we can all enjoy the increase in HP.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
Believe you'll find it's 192 HP stock and would certainly like to see what you've accomplished with an N/A to see 220/250 HP. Don't see a list under your sig, so maybe you want to share the list of mods so we can all enjoy the increase in HP.
The mod list in in my Showcase entry...

But OK, so assuming the lower number of 192, I have a throttle body spacer, which is good for +5 to +7 hp, so let's go with +5.
And an intake, which is good for +5 to +20, so let's be conservative, and call it +15.
And a Crank Pulley, which is good for +15 to +20, but let's go with the lower number.
Lastly, the thermal wrap, which we can generously call +5 at the most.

So 192 + 5 +15 +15 + 5 = 232

And that's being conservative on most mods.

It's incremental, but every little bit adds up.

Plus, I skipped right over whatever hp is gained by using 89 octane vs 87, since I always use midgrade gas. (it's probably good for +8hp)

I'm probably a bit off, but that's just a little back-of-the-napkin calculation...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but put it on a dyno and you'll be surprised. Not to be disrespectful, but there is nothing on the list to monitor/change A/F ratio, alter timing, longer injector cycle, etc and w/o those ingredients, it isn't going to happen. Also, don't know what kind of crank pulley you have, but if it's just a lightweight pulley there is no increase in HP. Also where do you believe all the fuel/timing etc is going to come from as the ecu still reads and adjusts the mixture from the O2 sensor, and w/o any ecu upgrades.......................Nice list though.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but put it on a dyno and you'll be surprised. Not to be disrespectful, but there is nothing on the list to monitor/change A/F ratio, alter timing, longer injector cycle, etc and w/o those ingredients, it isn't going to happen. Also, don't know what kind of crank pulley you have, but if it's just a lightweight pulley there is no increase in HP. Also where do you believe all the fuel/timing etc is going to come from as the ecu still reads and adjusts the mixture from the O2 sensor, and w/o any ecu upgrades.......................Nice list though.
I do have some Quantum Solenoids on back order, which should at least improve how fast the ecu can control the cam phasing, which should get a few more hp. Preliminary reports from another driver who has a set seem to indicate that they work...

I'm not certain I'm ready to sacrifice fuel efficiency for a straight power tune just yet.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
Don't forget to slap on the Optima stickers and/or K badges--those should be good for another HP or two...and for you Optima Turbo owners--the RED turbo badge is good for another 2 HP while the non-RED ones get you only 1 HP!

LOL j/k sorry I just had to go there. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is amazing is what they are getting out of high performance electric cars. 10.4 seconds out of one of them in the quarter mile. It won't be long before they have a low 8 second electric car, and that will beat out our high 8 second 1960 Falcon.
No need for 116 octane race fuel, spark plugs, carburetor, nitrous, etc.
New technology is amazing.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Off topic, but electric cars have been around for over 100 years, and the only drawback I see is the range, especially in winter, and the price. Batteries are becoming less expensive to manufacture and range increasing, but they still have a long way to go before I purchase a car that would eventually require a battery pack that could cost as much as $8,000.

There a converted Miata with electric power that runs 0-60 in 1.9 seconds and the 1/4 in 7 seconds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts