Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with their body control modules on the Optima's?
My car has blown the module 1 fuse and has numerous things that has stopped working along with it being stuck in park.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,460 Posts
Dont know. Are you getting any codes (do you have the ability to scan your own car?). Otherwise head to the dealership to see what they say.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a scanner but it isn't fancy enough to diagnose the issues I'm having. It doesn't have any check engine lights on so I guess its gonna be going to the Kia doctor on Monday.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
The car went to the dealership and was diagnosed as having a bad body control module. Only 3 modules that will fit my Kia are available in the United States.
Part should be here within a week and they quoted me $580 for parts and labor.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,460 Posts
Glad to hear you went to the dealer. Bad to here its not a cheap fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, new news about the BCM, the new one that showed up today was faulty so they ordered another one.
There are only 3 in the country that are for a sxl that is optioned like mine, now we're down too only two, hoping when the new one shows up next week it will work correctly, wish me luck.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update,
The 2nd BCM didn't fix the problem either.
Now thet say it's the IPM (intelligent power module)
I have to pay for it in advance and it's 30 days out.
Extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update.
After talking to the tech that's been working in my Kia I came to the conclusion that he is an idiot.
He said he was 99% positive that the problem was with the fuse box module.
I was going to have to purchase the module in advance so if it isn't the problem, they wouldn't be stuck eating a $520 part.
This didn't set well with me at all.
I asked him if he verified that all the components that the module 1 fuse controls has been checked and all were operational. He assured me he tested everything and all components were good and have been eliminated as to the cause of the blown fuse.
Still not convinced, I told them to put the car together and I would diagnose and fix it myself.
I pulled it in my shop, rigged up a 10A curcuit breaker and installed it into the fuse socket for the module 1 fuse. I turned the car on and followed the wiring harness with a amp meter, watch the movements of the needle.
I followed the wiring harness to the rear of the car, apparently I was getting closer to the short that was causing the fuse to blow due to the needle swinging more violently the close I got to the short.
I'm now just in front of the right rear wheel and found the headlight leveling sensor to be extremely hot.
I believe this to be the problem.
I unplugged the sensor, reinstalled a new 7.5a fuse into the module 1 slot and everything powered up and worked perfectly except for the headlight level.

Now I'm extremely happy and pissed at the same time.
The Kia dealer charged me $200+ dollars to work on my car and they couldn't fix it, I spent less than a hour on it and have it fixed as it should be.

Kia wants $350 for a new headlight level sensor and I found a new one online for $100.

.....anyway, the problem is fixed and our local Kia dealer probably has the worst customer service of any dealership, ever!!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
684 Posts
Props to you for your extensive troubleshoot skillset! Did you say anything to the dealer about how you were able to properly diagnose the problem as being a bad headlight level sensor, and if so, what did they respond back with?

·
Registered
2018 Optima 2018 Optima EX
43 Posts
That's the problem with dealers and most repair places these days. There just aren't any people with actual diagnostic skills anymore. Its all about reading codes and just throwing parts at it at the customer's expense.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been back to the dealer yet but I plan on going in and setting the bad part on his desk, explain how I located the faulty part and let him know how piss poor his techs are.

·
Registered
2013 optima 2013 Optima SXL
2 Posts
I am bringing this post back from the dead since I just started having the exact same trouble with my 2013 SXL a few days ago. I'm going to unplug the level sensor when I get home tonight but im curious to anyone's opinion if this a common failure point or more of a one off trouble

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts