·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Korean Auto Imports

KAI,

1. How reliable is this?
2. Can you still power-fold and adjust your mirrors?
3. How is installation? You have to cut large holes in your interior?

·
Experience
712 Posts
Double Post

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have this installed couple of month back and i love it. Very handy, head turning especially other Optima Drivers and easy to install. If you are willing to drill your rear bumper I highly recommend this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have the sensors painted to match the bumper?

I would expect something like this to cost at least $500 for a quality product. $189 seems to cheap!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Usually sensors come in three colors (Black, White and Silver) so if your car is one of Those colors, there is no need to paint. But you can paint in any color.
And yes it is made of high quality and designed in a way which makes it very easy and strait forward to install

·
Registered
283 Posts
ny150 : i contacted KAI and they told me they don't have installation manual for this mod... do you have one? or can you just tell the way you install it? and for bumper detector, how to know the best place to place them for best detection? and mirrors perfectly fit?

thank you

·
Registered
450 Posts
NY150 where did you place the sound speaker? Is there a way to take pics of the side mirrors in action?
I put the speaker near the steering wheel shaft. Here's a quick video on how it works. (If there is a car in the sensor range, as you will see in the Video, and you put the signal on you will here the beep and the LED starts flashing; when the car is in reverse the sensors shuts down.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
ny150 : i contacted KAI and they told me they don't have installation manual for this mod... do you have one? or can you just tell the way you install it? and for bumper detector, how to know the best place to place them for best detection? and mirrors perfectly fit?

thank you
It does not have a manual but each wire / part is labeled so it is pretty easy installation. below is a DIY for those interested (I'll try to add pics later). For the sensor location it is better to test it before drilling. Since my car was lowered; the sensors are now detecting the sidewalks so it is better you put it a bit higher than mine.

In The Box
  • The Main Module
  • Two Mirrors
  • Two LEDs
  • Two Sensors
  • Harness
  • Drill Unit
Installation
  • Mirrors
    • Disassemble the Mirror by removing the three nuts
    • Remove the Old Glass
    • Put the new Glass after gluing on the LEDs. (I recommend that you use a water and heat resistant Adhesive Paste)
    • Drill a small hall in the Door and Guide the wires inside the door and under the dash
    • Repeat the same for the other side. :)
  • Sensor
    • Test the Sensors Locations and make sure your satisfied with the results before you drill
    • Drill the Holes using the Drill Unit included with the Module
    • Pass the wires across the trunk to the Module
  • Harness
    • I can‎’t remember the exact colors but you got:
      • One wire should be connected to the ACC
      • One ground
      • One to each signal +ve wire
      • One to the reverse light
    • Connect the wires from the Sensors to the Module
    • Connect the harness from the Module to the LEDs
    • Tidy everything up and Enjoy!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks a lot... I'll need to translate some parts but it will be find... The hardest part is to find the best spot in bumper for sensors...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
392 Posts
Would've planned to get this but since I have to change the mirror I won't, I just recently got LED signal repeater mirrors (like the ones you see on GMC Yukon)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Would've planned to get this but since I have to change the mirror I won't, I just recently got LED signal repeater mirrors (like the ones you see on GMC Yukon)
There is another type where you place the LEDs on the inside of the A pillar. I think those will be perfect in your case and much easier to install.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any pics of the speaker? I noticed the speaker on the product page and was wondering where the heck that goes, how big it is, and most importantly, how it looks installed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.