Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Quad LED highbeam didn't work out as well as planned so I've moved on to another idea! The reason for moving on is that the Xpods just weren't bright enough for a dedicated high beam. If you were to do a 20" bar or something along those lines then it would be more than enough but 2 4" pods just weren't enough output....

So I've decided to do a K5 backlit "placard" in the highbeam area. This should tie together very well with the amber halos in the fog light area once installed. I just finished them last night and haven't had a chance to put them on the car yet but here are progress pics along with some countertop pictures on them lit.

Enjoy!

Opened up and ready for the LED's:

LED board with many holes drilled to get even light distribution:

Headlights back together ( I don't have any pictures of the "placard". It's just plexiglass with the diffuser film left on, placed a K5 logo on it, painted it black, removed logo to let light shine through )

With backlit LED's on:

Let me know if you have any questions!!

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
681 Posts
I really like the custom work you're doing. I'm not feelin this specific mod but I'm looking forward to the next step.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ok that's pretty insane home mod... we need more people like this on the forum!! and can you guys start doing DIY write ups with lots of pictures? I really think our forum is lacking in that section... :(
A lot of people write how to do things but pictures are much easier to understand

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,212 Posts
Wow this very creative and I got to give you Kudos for customizing this and thinking out of the box.

I really like the way it came out. In the last image the K5 is so bright it kind of distorts a little. At night time are you able to see that it says K5? Or does it just blur an image of yellow lighting?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting but wow man. Looks pretty cool. Great work. So when are you coming to Tucson to do my angel eyes. ;)
Pay for the ticket and I'll be there :D

I really like the custom work you're doing. I'm not feelin this specific mod but I'm looking forward to the next step.
Thanks man!

You're a step ahead of me with the blackout - can't wait to see how they look on the car. That was my next big project, but depending on how yours look may steer me one way or ther other. :)

How did you do the side panel? Just paint the white diffuser panel/strip?
I just plastidipped the factory orange panel all black. The LED that is in there will not long operate as I wired these lights to that area. The only lights that will come on with headlights are the K5, low beam. No other parking lights! The angel eyes are on all the time so I think that all that will tie together nicely :cool: If you were referring to the K5 panel, I just painted it black with the K5 logo on it and then peeled it once the paint dried. It's just a piece of plexi but I left the film on that helps diffuse some of the light.

ok that's pretty insane home mod... we need more people like this on the forum!! and can you guys start doing DIY write ups with lots of pictures? I really think our forum is lacking in that section... :(
A lot of people write how to do things but pictures are much easier to understand
I always think that I'm going to do a step-by-step guide of each of these mods and then I get started and hardly take any pictures. Next one I do I'll try to remember to do a very detailed guide.

Wow this very creative and I got to give you Kudos for customizing this and thinking out of the box.

I really like the way it came out. In the last image the K5 is so bright it kind of distorts a little. At night time are you able to see that it says K5? Or does it just blur an image of yellow lighting?
Thanks man! There a 5 LED's behind the plexi panel that are all firing forward. At almost any angle you can see the K5 clear as day but if you get down and look directly into it then the LED's are too bright and it's hard to make out what it says. That's why I showed as many angles as I did to show how it looks from most angles and then straight-on. It's just plexi in there with leds aiming at it so it's not perfect but for the first try I think it turned out decent!

---------- Post added 04-30-2014 at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-29-2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

Installed on car:

Hopefully night shots will be coming soon!

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts
Very cool! IMO I like having high beams. But if it doesn't see much highway I don't think the lack of them makes a difference. Very cool custom mod none the less!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool! IMO I like having high beams. But if it doesn't see much highway I don't think the lack of them makes a difference. Very cool custom mod none the less!
Thanks man! The lack of high beam light is in the works but it rarely sees the road, let alone long dark drives, haha.

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-30-2014 at 03:13 PM ----------

Updated pictures of full blackout look:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts