Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched big 3 and nothing so I'll ask if anyone has done the big 3 upgrade on our cars. I've done it before but it was an older car less computer..techy stuff my concern is the positive part on the battery that's like a chip or fuse I believe. Would there be any problems with doing it or is out not a good idea.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I would not do the battery to chassis ground. But the other 2 couldn't hurt. Our cars put out awesome voltage even at idle sooooo... the less resistance the better. I measured 14.4v idling with my multimeter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2013 Optima
927 Posts
Upgrading the battery to chassis ground is the best one of the three in any car.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,693 Posts
I haven't seen the video, but can someone clarify what the benefit is that you get? Does it make your battery last longer before the battery dies?

·
Registered
2013 Optima
927 Posts
The major benefit is for someone doing an amp install. Typically a car manufacture will use tiny ground wires and less than adequate charge wire. When you are running let's say a 4 gauge power wire but do not upgrade the ground it's like putting a straw on the end of a darden house. Since the ground side is the single most important thing in a car it is something i always do. Can only help for a minimal investment.

·
Registered
2015 Kia 2015 Optima EX
77 Posts
Does anyone know the stock wire gauge?

Whoah, the stock battery terminals on my 2015 EX are funky. Not like the old cars I'm used to owning.
2015 Optima EX battery terminals:

·
Registered
2013 Optima 2013 Optima
34 Posts
8 awg.

i have plotted to do the big 3 but the alternator location would be a b!tch to get to with out a lift so i haven't hunkered down and started it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bumping this up, I did the big 3 upgrade on my RSX and I had 0 gauge all around, and my amp was pushing 13v at full load, a 600rms rated watt, I was getting a little over 750rms, my SA10 was banging.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just thought I would bump this thread instead of start another one discussing the same thing.

Has anyone on here done the big 3 upgrade, and what were the results and issues that popped up, if applicable?

·
Registered
2015 kia kia opitma
7 Posts
does the big 3 help increase voltage i got 2015 opitma 14.4 voltage with out big 3 up grade 1/0 ran to trunk with soundqubed 2200 and xs power d3400 under hood would i benefit from the big 3

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

did you replace postive terminal with fuse or leave fuse on there?

·
Registered
2015 kia kia opitma
7 Posts
anyone have pics how they ran the big 3 andi heard not to ground negative terminal cause of the battery sensor ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
anyone have pics how they ran the big 3 andi heard not to ground negative terminal cause of the battery sensor ?
You really can't do a big 3 on this car since you can't connect to the negative terminal of the battery. There are warnings directly from Kia saying not to, which is certainly enough for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I’m resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone actually was able to do a big 3 upgrade on a modern Kia Optima 2011-on without any negative consequences. I have been experiencing some issues with my sub amp setup and think it may not be getting enough juice to the sub since I have a 1100watt rms sub amp and 300rms component speakers amp. Seems since I added the second amp for the speakers the sub hasn’t been hitting nearly as hard. Is the reason it causes issue because adding a thicker cable with less resistance cause the stock ground cable to be rendered useless and would see little to no current flow on it? Is there a way around this? Would there be a way to just upgrade the stock cable then and have the sensor working on the new thicker ground wire?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread is just about 7 years old, but no one seems to have actually completed the Big 3 upgrade to their Optima’s. I have a 2015 SXLT and want to upgrade the audio by throwing in a Kenwood XR-10001 which is 1000w RMS @ 2 ohms. I’m a little worried it might put too high of a strain on the factory alternator if I don’t, however above there was mention that KIA has advised against altering the negative terminal of the battery. Has anyone actually completed this or even completed upgrading just the other 2?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts