Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in the shop for an alignment and I'm getting any parts replaced that are seized and not workable.

While in the shop, I was going down the path of a corner balance. However, it turns out the front right coilover has seized completely. They removed both coilovers and were able to get the drivers side coilover loose, but not the passenger side.

These BC Racing coilovers have been on my car for less than 24 months. Have only experienced 2 winters and both of those were very mild.

The shop made mention that the coating is not the greatest on BC and they see this all the time.

Just posting for others to keep in mind if you live in winter areas with snow/salt. Do as much PM work as you can every spring/summer if you want to keep them moving. Guy said some people even go as far as removing their coilovers for every winter if it's a car they DD and they also AutoX.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
What seized, the large nut for adjusting the height?
Guess it's the crappy winter weather that makes the parts seize and rust away, not only the OEM parts but the aftermarket also. You're the first I've heard with that problem, but my racing days are long gone.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
Maybe next time around it's time for some neverseize.
I've got a rear lca camber adjusting bolt that's seized, so got to work on that one.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, any parts the shop is replacing or moving and where feasible, they're putting Permatex on. In addition, they found cam bolts from a place called Moog that are manufactured in a way to let grease be put in with them.

I'm going to take it in every year during the Spring and have all parts worked. I'll replace the coilovers as they age some more. Maybe next year or the year after.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
Yea, I've got Moog end links, 4 zerk fitting as well as the tie rod ends that have the fittings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts