Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I noticed that my backup camera is not turning on and staying black. I tried reverse multiple times and it didn't work. I even re-started the car to see if it would reboot the UVO system (if that was the problem) and still had the same issue.

I set a service call up for next week. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,250 Posts
I have seen some issues with the backup camera that people have posted but none exactly as you describe. Let us know how the dealer fixes the problem.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Does the UVO act normally? You could try pulling the radio fuse, just to see if maybe that helps? I don't know.

Here is the panel, loacted down by your left knee. The one you would want to pull is the weird double one down at the bottom.

Oh gosh, now that I look... I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just throwing it out there...you may want to take a video of the screen not changing to the camera so you have proof in case the dealer says they can't replicate the problem. I've done this in the past with other cars and it's saved me a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX
518 Posts
Yes, I had this. There was a short in the system... the dealer had to order a new unit and it took a few days to get there... and then like 20 minutes for them to swap out.
Good as new again. I figured it was due to car washes/winter because it went out in like December or Jan and i got it fixed last month. couldn't be bothered to go sooner.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Mines been acting strange sometimes, it flickers sometimes in reverse. I'm planning on taking mine in soon to get it fixed but havent had it go completely black on me... yet

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Mine was initially showing occasionally water spots or drops on the screen after a rain. It eventually went black as the camera burnt out. The dealer replaced it in about 4 hours and I have had no issues since. The camera outer shield house leaked and allowed moisture in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine went black the other day. Dealer is ordering a new camera. Unfortunately, where I live, parts take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
haha mine has been doing this for over a few months, i just haven't had time to take it to the dealer. I'm assuming it is under warranty?

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,308 Posts
Mine happens often and in that case, i just put my parking brake while on reverse and then go pop the trunk and then kind of slam it. Then it turns back on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine happens often and in that case, i just put my parking brake while on reverse and then go pop the trunk and then kind of slam it. Then it turns back on.
Really? You have a warranty. Why not take advantage of it?

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,308 Posts
I've tried that once at my dealership but they were keep telling me that the car has to act up for them to see it in order to fix it. So I even showed them the video that I recorded but they didn't buy it. I tried it again at a different dealership and they told me they added some sort of resistors or whatever to the camera wire but that didn't do anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! You would think that the video would be sufficient proof. Don't give up. Sounds like it happens quite often. You should drop by the dealership next time it happens.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As far as the video goes, keep the video. Also make sure when you take it in that their work order indicates that you showed them a video of it acting up. At least then if they deny the repair and the unit fails after it is out of warranty you have an argument for having it replaced under warranty proving the issue pre-dated the expiration of the warranty.

·
(Formerly White Lightning SX12)
2012 KIA OPTIMA
181 Posts
This has happened to me off and on for the last week. I will be taking the car in to get this fixed, looks like most of you have been able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to chime in guys. I just started seeing this in 2014 SX-T as well. Happened today where it flickered, and then went black. I then changed to P, then back to camera, and the image came back.

The second time (about 30 minutes later). for the life of me, I couldn't get an image back. So, It sounds like I'm going to have to visit the dealer soon. Had the car about 2 weeks only!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just to chime in guys. I just started seeing this in 2014 SX-T as well. Happened today where it flickered, and then went black. I then changed to P, then back to camera, and the image came back.

The second time (about 30 minutes later). for the life of me, I couldn't get an image back. So, It sounds like I'm going to have to visit the dealer soon. Had the car about 2 weeks only!
We also had issues with the backup cam, same as u are describing... It kinda worked when it wanted to, scrambled or black screen sometimes, I was thinking an electronic or heat issue since I live in SW GA where it is HOT.. I dont know what happened but after I installed new backup LEDs & License Plate LEDs it has worked 100% of the time, every time... I did push on the cameara connectors a bit when I installed the LEDs since they were accessible... I made a thread about the camera not working just as u described...

Fingers crossed it continues to work as it has 100% since installing the LEDs...

J

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had it go black occasionally too but just when I decide to take it to the dealer, I can't replicate it. It's been fine for a month or two.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts