Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima EX 2.4L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed some TOAUTO 3D 360 degree LED bulbs in my stock housings back before Christmas bc I was frustrated by my inability to see at night. I never do reviews or brag about many things but I have to say for under $50 these bulbs have been amazing. I’m sure there are better bulbs out there but I’m not rich and not able to buy multiple bulbs to test the difference in bulbs nor am I paid buy any company. This is just a poor guy letting other poor folks know these low beams are very impressive for the price that do a very good service for these particular housings. Hopefully this helps others along the way to save a few bucks and still get a very simple but helpful upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
I've seen those before, but the cooling/reliability concerns led me to go in a slightly different direction.

I endorse Hikari's "Eye of Megatron" series as the top of the heap.

They're a bit pricey, but at 12,000 lumens each, they turn night into day.

The active cooling system doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima EX 2.4L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen those before, but the cooling/reliability concerns led me to go in a slightly different direction.

The active cooling system doesn't hurt either.

Do you have a picture of them?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Just an fyi-those bulbs are made for H11, not H11b, so some adapter is needed. I hate just sticking spades into the factory H11b socket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have those same ones in my Camaro ss zl1 conversion fog lights. They seem good value, can't tell light output since fog lights are different than headlights.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts

I'm not knocking the product as a whole--i.e., I'll take your word that they do the job for you...but I am a bit skeptical at their numerical claims. 12000 Lumens each? Not sure if you misread that or maybe the vendor changed the wording, but their Amazon page states that these LED bulbs are "12000LM Per pair" which I would interpret as meaning 6000 Lumens per bulb. Furthermore, even if one were to accept that each bulb is indeed 12K Lumens, then I am not sure exactly what measurement is being meant when they say "2530 max lux at 23 feet", given that Lux is a measurement of Lumens in a given area--e.g., 100 lumen light source would illuminate 1 square meter with 100 lux; the same 100 lumen light source output would illuminate 10 square meters with 10 lux

If one were to assume that by "23 feet" they meant 23 ft. x 23 ft., then that translates to 49 square meters which would calculate to ~245 Lux (over a 49 square-foot coverage area) for each 12K Lumen bulb, or ~490 Lux combined for both bulbs...so again, not sure how they came up with the 2530 (max) lux figure. LOL if you were to work backwards from the 2530 lux figure and do the math, then the actual lumens figure would be much greater than the reported 12000 lumens. Bottom line--either they're manipulating the numbers (incorrectly I might add) to their advantage or they sure have an odd way of measuring light output.

These types of product number manipulation reminds me of how aftermarket HID vendors would advertise 8K or even higher color temp HID bulbs; I mean, why would anyone think that they'll be able to see much more of the road at night with such high color temp HIDs; if higher color temp actually meant "brighter", then hypothetically speaking the sun should be blue not yellow.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
I'm not knocking the product as a whole--i.e., I'll take your word that they do the job for you...but I am a bit skeptical at their numerical claims. 12000 Lumens each? Not sure if you misread that or maybe the vendor changed the wording, but their Amazon page states that these LED bulbs are "12000LM Per pair" which I would interpret as meaning 6000 Lumens per bulb. Furthermore, even if one were to accept that each bulb is indeed 12K Lumens, then I am not sure exactly what measurement is being meant when they say "2530 max lux at 23 feet", given that Lux is a measurement of Lumens in a given area--e.g., 100 lumen light source would illuminate 1 square meter with 100 lux; the same 100 lumen light source output would illuminate 10 square meters with 10 lux

If one were to assume that by "23 feet" they meant 23 ft. x 23 ft., then that translates to 49 square meters which would calculate to ~245 Lux (over a 49 square-foot coverage area) for each 12K Lumen bulb, or ~490 Lux combined for both bulbs...so again, not sure how they came up with the 2530 (max) lux figure. LOL if you were to work backwards from the 2530 lux figure and do the math, then the actual lumens figure would be much greater than the reported 12000 lumens. Bottom line--either they're manipulating the numbers (incorrectly I might add) to their advantage or they sure have an odd way of measuring light output.

These types of product number manipulation reminds me of how aftermarket HID vendors would advertise 8K or even higher color temp HID bulbs; I mean, why would anyone think that they'll be able to see much more of the road at night with such high color temp HIDs; if higher color temp actually meant "brighter", then hypothetically speaking the sun should be blue not yellow.
I haven't done any calculations, but I have tested several types of LED headlight bulbs. The Hikari's have been the brightest, and haven't burned out, even after two years of almost nightly use. The other types I have used tended to lose brightness over time, or waste light off to the sides, versus projecting it down the road.

Also, despite the numbers, the color is closer to 5000k, or maybe 5500, so it's closer to sunlight at midday. I've tried other brands that were way up in the 6000k, to 6500 range, and there is a big drop in usable light when they are too blue, just as you said.

In the end, I like them, they aren't too expensive, and they destroy stock bulbs. The fact they destroy almost all other LED bulbs at that price point doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I'm not trying to dispute their brightness and/or durability but rather, just commenting on the silly numbers vendors try to push out to unsuspecting consumers in an attempt to make their product more desirable over the competition. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of consumers would take that 12000-lumen claim as fact due to other customers simply commenting on how really bright the bulbs are--i.e., they must be really bright because they're 12000 lumens, therefore why settle for a bulb that's (advertised as being) "only" 8000 lumens.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
I'm not trying to dispute their brightness and/or durability but rather, just commenting on the silly numbers vendors try to push out to unsuspecting consumers in an attempt to make their product more desirable over the competition. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of consumers would take that 12000-lumen claim as fact due to other customers simply commenting on how really bright the bulbs are--i.e., they must be really bright because they're 12000 lumens, therefore why settle for a bulb that's (advertised as being) "only" 8000 lumens.
No argument here. Many people don't think too much beyond "bigger is better"... A little empirical testing is always the best way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts