Kia Optima Forums banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just ordered and paid via your website sick. Can't wait. Tried parallel parking this afternoon and found myself about 2 feet from the curb because I was paranoid of scurbing my wheels. Tilted my mirror and got to within 6 inches. That's when I decided I needed this.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Just ordered and paid via your website sick. Can't wait. Tried parallel parking this afternoon and found myself about 2 feet from the curb because I was paranoid of scurbing my wheels. Tilted my mirror and got to within 6 inches. That's when I decided I needed this.
I got the module shipped out for you yesterday! Isn't that the truth, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. Thank heavens for this module! Also thank you for your order! ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
OK finally got this mod installed and it wasn't easy. Thanks G4z808 for the hard work you put into this. NEVER would have figured out the wiring on this by myself. Installation was way over my abilities. Couple of things to note on the installation.. When taking off the kick panel you need to pull the panel to the rear of the cabin to clear a clip. We ended up breaking the tab on it and now the hood release binds on the kick panel a bit. No big deal but just a heads up. Next finding the reverse tap in was pretty rough. Not sure how many blue wires were tested but it was in the teens at least. G4z808 found it in a wire bundle nearer to the b-pillar in the scuff plate and not in the kick plate like the instructions say. The 4 wires that connect to the mirror up and down wires were in the yellow taped wire bundle like the posted pictures showed, problem was there was a bunch of them in there to test.

Once everything was hooked up at first there wasn't any movement of the mirror after throwing it into reverse, because you need to move the tilt knob to 50% first. If you leave it in the full clockwise position it won't move at all. Also when calibrating the movement I found that if you leave the mirror adjustment pointing to the right side mirror when it returns to position, it seems to move up and to the right throwing the position way off. So put it in the middle position and it should go back up and not right. All in all a great mod once it is installed. You need a multimeter for sure, impossible without one. To many of the same colored wires to guess the right one.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
OK finally got this mod installed and it wasn't easy. Thanks G4z808 for the hard work you put into this. NEVER would have figured out the wiring on this by myself. Installation was way over my abilities. Couple of things to note on the installation.. When taking off the kick panel you need to pull the panel to the rear of the cabin to clear a clip. We ended up breaking the tab on it and now the hood release binds on the kick panel a bit. No big deal but just a heads up. Next finding the reverse tap in was pretty rough. Not sure how many blue wires were tested but it was in the teens at least. G4z808 found it in a wire bundle nearer to the b-pillar in the scuff plate and not in the kick plate like the instructions say. The 4 wires that connect to the mirror up and down wires were in the yellow taped wire bundle like the posted pictures showed, problem was there was a bunch of them in there to test.

Once everything was hooked up at first there wasn't any movement of the mirror after throwing it into reverse, because you need to move the tilt knob to 50% first. If you leave it in the full clockwise position it won't move at all. Also when calibrating the movement I found that if you leave the mirror adjustment pointing to the right side mirror when it returns to position, it seems to move up and to the right throwing the position way off. So put it in the middle position and it should go back up and not right. All in all a great mod once it is installed. You need a multimeter for sure, impossible without one. To many of the same colored wires to guess the right one.
Glad you got it installed and working. As mentioned in the OP this is not an install for the faint of heart. Also way over my head as well. However with that being said, if professionally installed it shouldn't take more than 1 hour maybe 1.5 at most. My installer was a car audio place who had never worked on an Optima before and it took them about 55 minutes to complete everything with adjustments and all. BTW the blue wire you were looking for is also located in the kick plate area as the instructions stated as that is where it was when doing the write up on the 2013 model we used. A few other members also had a tough time locating it, but it's there.

Thanks G4z808 for helping out with the install and getting it done. I will admit, this is the most difficult mod to install out of all the ones I sell. However one of the best mods out there when it comes to functionality!

·
04/2014 ROTM
3,611 Posts
Did you end up finding an installer?
No, I sure didn't. I think I may try out one of the local custom shops here in town with this if they will give me a decent flat rate up front. Once I get some folding mirrors I'll get this and the other module all in one shot.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
No, I sure didn't. I think I may try out one of the local custom shops here in town with this if they will give me a decent flat rate up front. Once I get some folding mirrors I'll get this and the other module all in one shot.
Sounds good brother. Let me know once you get it installed!

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried to put together a DIY with pictures/videos for this mod? I just installed the folding mirrors. I would like to attempt this, but will need a little guidance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone help who has done this mod? I have everything removed. I'm just trying to figure out which harness I'm suppose to be tapping into. There are several in the fuses box area and some near the bottom left where the hood release is at. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

181 - 200 of 222 Posts