Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima SXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m not very tech savvy in the car audio department so I apologize if I say anything wrong.
Recently my car audio system (Kia optima 2015 SXL with infinity sound system) started to get quieter and has gotten worse in the last month. I bought the car it was fine about a year ago. 20 on the volume was extremely loud, then about 3 months ago it started to have 2 different volumes. I would start the car the volume would be at 10, then I would start to move the car and it would stay at volume 10 but the sound coming out was much quieter, so much so you could really tell. Then about a month ago, it got really quiet. 20 on the system now sounds like 8.
Side note my front left speaker for a week or so sounded like it was blown out but then went back to normal.
I honestly have no idea what’s going on and can’t seem to find the answer online, any help is appropriated.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
About what volume do you normally listen at, and what is your bass set to?

Also, what style of music do you listen to, and what source are you using, or are you plugged into the Aux port?

Listening at too high a level, or unbalanced loading will trash your speakers fast.

Also, check your speaker balance.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima SXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About what volume do you normally listen at, and what is your bass set to?

Also, what style of music do you listen to, and what source are you using, or are you plugged into the Aux port?

Listening at too high a level, or unbalanced loading will trash your speakers fast.

Also, check your speaker balance.
I checked the speaker balance and everything looks fine, slightly more to the driver front. Bass and sub are set 2 clicks above default. I’m using Apple car play through the USB port, my phone automatically sets volume to full on my phone when I plug it in. Music variety but I guess more alternative pop.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Next steps would be checking whether or not speed-dependent volume was enabled on the head unit, or if there is some form of audio protection being engaged on the iphone. This might be especially true if the iphone was updated recently... Iphones are crap for sound anyways, so try connecting via the headphone jack instead. Better still, get a dedicated Android device, and hardwire it via the Aux port.

You also mentioned you have the Infinity sound system, so try biasing to the rear by 1 or 2, and flatten all three ranges, then use an app on the phone itself to manage sound profiling.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima SXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next steps would be checking whether or not speed-dependent volume was enabled on the head unit, or if there is some form of audio protection being engaged on the iphone. This might be especially true if the iphone was updated recently... Iphones are crap for sound anyways, so try connecting via the headphone jack instead. Better still, get a dedicated Android device, and hardwire it via the Aux port.

You also mentioned you have the Infinity sound system, so try biasing to the rear by 1 or 2, and flatten all three ranges, then use an app on the phone itself to manage sound profiling.
I tried all suggestions above and it’s still as quiet as before. Even with an android and aux cable. I wonder if my amp or something is going bad.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima SXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slight tangent, but recent-generation iPhones do not have traditional 3.5mm headphone jacks (iPhone 7 and later) so depending on which model iPhone OP has this may not be a viable option.
If I did use the aux on an iPhone I would just use the little adapter they sell for lightning to 3.5mm

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
Not trying to be argumentative, but is there actually a noticeable difference in audio quality when connecting an iPhone or similar via USB vs. 3.5mm aux/headphone jack? I get it that you're dealing with digital bits if connecting via USB vs. analog bits if connecting via the aux jack but still...

Also--if using the Lightning to 3.5mm aux adapter, then there's the matter of converting digital to analog processing taking place--meaning, more audio processing overhead involved.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
I tried all suggestions above and it’s still as quiet as before. Even with an android and aux cable. I wonder if my amp or something is going bad.
Ouch... That may be the case... I'd check the speakers themselves against a spare set, but you may need to see a dealership for this one...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Not trying to be argumentative, but is there actually a noticeable difference in audio quality when connecting an iPhone or similar via USB vs. 3.5mm aux/headphone jack? I get it that you're dealing with digital bits if connecting via USB vs. analog bits if connecting via the aux jack but still...

Also--if using the Lightning to 3.5mm aux adapter, then there's the matter of converting digital to analog processing taking place--meaning, more audio processing overhead involved.
That's a very good question, but, at least in my experience, the headphone jack is best. USB DAC is something I haven't tried too often, but I may start experimenting with it. I do know it needs a dedicated app to function properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’m not very tech savvy in the car audio department so I apologize if I say anything wrong.
Recently my car audio system (Kia optima 2015 SXL with infinity sound system) started to get quieter and has gotten worse in the last month. I bought the car it was fine about a year ago. 20 on the volume was extremely loud, then about 3 months ago it started to have 2 different volumes. I would start the car the volume would be at 10, then I would start to move the car and it would stay at volume 10 but the sound coming out was much quieter, so much so you could really tell. Then about a month ago, it got really quiet. 20 on the system now sounds like 8.
Side note my front left speaker for a week or so sounded like it was blown out but then went back to normal.
I honestly have no idea what’s going on and can’t seem to find the answer online, any help is appropriated.
Hey Ben did you ever figure out what was the problem with the low sound on ur speakers. I've been having the same issue in my kia. With only my driver and passenger speakers. They are lower then the rest and i tried swapping them for kicker speakers and still they were low i thought the whole time they were blown so i was happy on just upgrading and nope it wasn't the case and just like you had trouble finding anything online about it so did I and I really done know what the issue is. If you found out what the problem is could you tell me what the exact issue was. Please and thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.