Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I park my car (2013 Optima LX) in an alley behind my apartment. Last fall a neighbor’s car was stolen, and over the last month I’ve noticed someone trying to break in by destroying the lock cylinder on the driver’s side door. At first it was just a little dent in the keyhole, but last week the entire piece was broken off (picture attached).
Mainly, I’m looking for any information I can take to a mechanic to expedite the process (do I need to special order a part that is cut to fit my key? Is it possible to just put a cap on it and use the fob indefinitely?). I’d also appreciate estimates for what repairs should run. I’m wary of the dealerships, but may end up going to one so I don’t have to wait for part orders.
Additionally, though, I’d love any advice on how to deter car theft of this sort. I would genuinely hate to have to pay to fix this only to have it happen again.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Punk thieves!

Locks are easy to open with proper tool (not keys) and a little knowledge/practice, ask any "pop a lock" person.

This thief is just a plain neanderthal intelligence level knucklehead!

To deter, I don't know, a good quality sensing alarm would have gone off, I'd look into that if I'm continuing needing to park in the same place this happened. Lights and a security camera outside may help but it may not be an option.

They will be back, they live right in same or adjacent neighborhood.

Luck.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
I would not be disheartened to find my 19' Santa Fe with 2.4 GDI gone and never returned.

Good luck in getting this issue fixed and hoping the perp eventually gets caught.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would not be disheartened to find my 19' Santa Fe with 2.4 GDI gone and never returned.

Good luck in getting this issue fixed and hoping the perp eventually gets caught.
Not to be an ass but check your insurance. Thefts are paid on an acv basis so if its stolen you will have to pay the difference on what is owed AND your deductible. GAP insurance will only pay the difference between the payout and the loan so you'll still lose. Im a fireand theft insurance investigator/adjuster and people always think they will get money but itall will go to your lienholder. Also makea police report, itmay seem worthless butit may increase police presence. If a thief wants to steal yourcar they will get it, the trick is to make yours not worth the effort. Thieves are lazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I park my car (2013 Optima LX) in an alley behind my apartment. Last fall a neighbor’s car was stolen, and over the last month I’ve noticed someone trying to break in by destroying the lock cylinder on the driver’s side door. At first it was just a little dent in the keyhole, but last week the entire piece was broken off (picture attached).
Mainly, I’m looking for any information I can take to a mechanic to expedite the process (do I need to special order a part that is cut to fit my key? Is it possible to just put a cap on it and use the fob indefinitely?). I’d also appreciate estimates for what repairs should run. I’m wary of the dealerships, but may end up going to one so I don’t have to wait for part orders.
Additionally, though, I’d love any advice on how to deter car theft of this sort. I would genuinely hate to have to pay to fix this only to have it happen again.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 249858
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 249858
Were you able to do anything? My KIA was stolen last year Nov 2020 and was recovered the same day. They used a screwdriver to wreck the outside door cylinder then the same screwdriver to wreck the ignition lock. Since then I've used an anti-theft club and just last week they wrecked the outside lock but weren't able to bypass the steering wheel club. I was wondering if there was a more secure car door cylinder or a way to cover it so just a FOB would open locks.

Peace
@_*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts