Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels have been slowly getting like this overtime, I don’t use an abrasive cleaner (just soap and water) and brake dust doesn’t sit on the wheels for too long. I’ll have to add a couple more photos of the rest of the wheels. But this is the driver side front wheel which is by far the WORST. out of all of them. Most likely going to get the wheels powdercoated because this is hideous especially in the sunlights.

I know this just doesn’t affect our particular car because our neighbors have a white LX and their wheels are doing the SAME thing but they aren’t as bad as ours.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Are you brake pads making extra dust?

Simple Green seemed to work well in removing the brake dust, back when I had an old motorcycle with white powder-coated wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you brake pads making extra dust?

Simple Green seemed to work well in removing the brake dust, back when I had an old motorcycle with white powder-coated wheels.
The pads are fine, recently replaced them. It’s just that the finish of the wheels looks terrible. I don’t know if it would be smarter to have the wheels sanded down and refinished or just to have them powder coated.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Woah, do you have a close-up picture showing the details?

The picture above looks to me like brake dust, temporary that you could just brush or clean off. But you are saying there is some kind of damage to the finish?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woah, do you have a close-up picture showing the details?

The picture above looks to me like brake dust, temporary that you could just brush or clean off. But you are saying there is some kind of damage to the finish?
This photo is just after cleaning the wheel. This the damage to the actual finish on the wheel.

drivers wheel (by far the worst)

Rear passenger wheel (you can see the look on the ends of the spokes).

this is what the drivers wheel looked like in May.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Those pictures look to me like three spokes are dirty, and two spokes are cleaned off.

The 12:00 and 3:00 spokes look like they have been cleaned. The others just look dirty.

I tried zooming in and saw some water droplets, but the rest looks like clean metal or dirty metal?

Could it be water spotting? Maybe try a clay bar to get the mineral deposits off?

I just can't get a good idea of what you mean, and the pictures are confusing for my eyes.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those pictures look to me like three spokes are dirty, and two spokes are cleaned off.

The 12:00 and 3:00 spokes look like they have been cleaned. The others just look dirty.

I tried zooming in and saw some water droplets, but the rest looks like clean metal or dirty metal?

Could it be water spotting? Maybe try a clay bar to get the mineral deposits off?

I just can't get a good idea of what you mean, and the pictures are confusing for my eyes.
The entire wheel had been cleaned. I took the photo without wiping the wheels off (bad on my part). All of the spokes are like that but the flash from the camera makes two of them look “clean”. I don’t know what’s making them looked scratched like that but it seems to be getting worse and worse every other wash.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
1 Posts
2013 Kia Optima Ex has the same problem. The finish is coming off of my wheels also. I have considered painting the wheels.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
I think I see what OP's describing--in the after-wash photos the left-most spokes show it clearly. Do the OEM wheels come with some sort of clear-coat like or some sort of protectant-like coating applied to the wheels? If so, then I wonder if it's that finish that is slowly being etched away by long-term exposure to various natural and man-made elements...

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
8 Posts
Do you have a neighborhood dog that urinating on your wheels on a daily bases? Urine is pretty acidic. Could explain why one wheel is worse than the others.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2013 Kia Optima Ex has the same problem. The finish is coming off of my wheels also. I have considered painting the wheels.
I tried to talk wife into powder coating them but she’s not a fan of black wheel look on this car lol. So Looks like we may have to have them sanded down and refinished.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I see what OP's describing--in the after-wash photos the left-most spokes show it clearly. Do the OEM wheels come with some sort of clear-coat like or some sort of protectant-like coating applied to the wheels? If so, then I wonder if it's that finish that is slowly being etched away by long-term exposure to various natural and man-made elements...
Maybe so, the wheels gradually got worse so I’m thinking it’s a clear coat finish coming off. It’s just weird that the drivers side wheel is worse. I’m thinking maybe it’s UV rays eating away at the wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a neighborhood dog that urinating on your wheels on a daily bases? Urine is pretty acidic. Could explain why one wheel is worse than the others.
No loose dogs in our neighborhood. Sometimes the car is parked inside of the garage as well but 90% of the time it’s outside. I’m thinking it’s UV rays killing the clear coat on the wheels or something.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took this photo(s) yesterday in direct sunlight so maybe it’s easier to see what I’m referring too.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
OK can you verify, do the "scratches" all go in the same direction, regardless of which spoke they are on?

Zoom in on these recent pics, and all the scratches seem to go side to side, even on the spokes that happen to be vertical. As if the scratches are lined up with the letter "N" on the tire.

Almost seems like the wheel was placed face down on rocks/dirt, and dragged toward the letter N.

If the scratches were from use, I'd expect the scratches to go in a radial direction, or at least "across" each spoke. But here, we see the scratches going across the vertical spokes, and along the horizontal spokes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Toyota powder coating around 2010 was terrible. My FJ Cruiser wheels lost most all of their powder coating and it definitely wasn't brake dust or any environmental condition (other than temperatures) that caused it. I had the hard factory spare tire cover on the spare that was NEVER used or removed. It still lost power coating and had bubbling under parts where paint hadn't fallen off yet.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK can you verify, do the "scratches" all go in the same direction, regardless of which spoke they are on?

Zoom in on these recent pics, and all the scratches seem to go side to side, even on the spokes that happen to be vertical. As if the scratches are lined up with the letter "N" on the tire.

Almost seems like the wheel was placed face down on rocks/dirt, and dragged toward the letter N.

If the scratches were from use, I'd expect the scratches to go in a radial direction, or at least "across" each spoke. But here, we see the scratches going across the vertical spokes, and along the horizontal spokes.
Actually they all go in the same direction (weird). Its like it was all purposely done, but they seem to get worse and with every wash (I hand wash and use a soft microfiber). I want to not wash the wheels to see if it gets worse but I don’t want to leave brake dust on them for too long.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toyota powder coating around 2010 was terrible. My FJ Cruiser wheels lost most all of their powder coating and it definitely wasn't brake dust or any environmental condition (other than temperatures) that caused it. I had the hard factory spare tire cover on the spare that was NEVER used or removed. It still lost power coating and had bubbling under parts where paint hadn't fallen off yet.
Mazda had the same issue with the Mazda 6s Grand Touring wheels, the clear coat of the gray would just chip off for no reason. It’s like What are manufactures using that can’t make the finish on their wheels last!?!?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts