Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 EX T-GDI and the engine blew at 126,000 km about a year and a half ago. It was replaced under the recall at the time by Kia free of cost of course. The manager was rude and mentioned that he would not replace it again if it blows.. I read online that after the the engine replacement recall, Optimas are covered for 10 years. I also have some modifications on my vehicle and do oil changes at home. The car of course is no longer covered under factory warranty and has no warranty coverage whatsoever. So my main question is are third gens reliable after the engine recall? Did anyone suffer any issues after their engine was replaced. I love my car and have some work put into it and want to keep it for a long time if it will stay reliable? Sorry for the long post, newbie here. Thanks!

TL;DR: are third gen Optimas reliable after the engine recall?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
The original engine has a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, and the replacement engine also comes with the lifetime warranty. The dealer told me 12 months, bunch of jerks, so called Kia and as the original engine is under the recall, the replacement engine falls into that category also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original engine has a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, and the replacement engine also comes with the lifetime warranty. The dealer told me 12 months, bunch of jerks, so called Kia and as the original engine is under the recall, the replacement engine falls into that category also.
Ah ok that's a piece of mind! Would you happen to know if the recall cannot be completed in the future if you don't get oil changes done from shops? Or have modifications? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
Well, if the bearings go, they replace the entire engine as it's the easiest and quickest way to go.

I would also assume that receipts would not be needed, the same as the original engine replacement requirements.
As far as mods, I would never take the car to the dealership with mods installed, at least items that can be seen. There have been engines with mods replaced and the dealership actually transferred the mods to the new engine, but I wouldn't take a chance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if the bearings go, they replace the entire engine.

I would also assume that receipts would not be needed, the same as the original engine replacement requirements.
As far as mods, I would never take the car to the dealership with mods installed, at least items that can be seen. There have been engines with mods replaced and the dealership actually transferred the mods to the new engine, but I wouldn't take a chance.
Oh wow okay good to know! Thanks for answering sir!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
161 Posts
Yes. I've heard some that had their replacement engine seize and KIA replaced the entire engine again. As long as the warranty is in place I wouldn't worry about it if the engine seizes then just know you have the warranty to back you up. I suppose after about 3-4 engine replacements KIA will stop covering that particular car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I've heard some that had their replacement engine seize and KIA replaced the entire engine again. As long as the warranty is in place I wouldn't worry about it if the engine seizes then just know you have the warranty to back you up. I suppose after about 3-4 engine replacements KIA will stop covering that particular car.
Good to know! And lifetime warranty essentially means 10 years or a certain amount of kilometers/miles right? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
Good to know! And lifetime warranty essentially means 10 years or a certain amount of kilometers/miles right? Thanks!
No, lifetime is just that, no time limit, no limit on miles and is transferable to the next owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have a 2013 EX T-GDI and the engine blew at 126,000 km about a year and a half ago. It was replaced under the recall at the time by Kia free of cost of course. The manager was rude and mentioned that he would not replace it again if it blows.. I read online that after the the engine replacement recall, Optimas are covered for 10 years. I also have some modifications on my vehicle and do oil changes at home. The car of course is no longer covered under factory warranty and has no warranty coverage whatsoever. So my main question is are third gens reliable after the engine recall? Did anyone suffer any issues after their engine was replaced. I love my car and have some work put into it and want to keep it for a long time if it will stay reliable? Sorry for the long post, newbie here. Thanks!

TL;DR: are third gen Optimas reliable after the engine recall?

I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX my engine blew at 98k miles I took it to the kia dealership and enigine was replaced for free under recall along with turbo feed line and more...they gave me life time warranty on new engine & if it anything went wrong with engine it will be replaced free of charge my kia is currently on 130k miles and it's running STRONGER than ever!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX my engine blew at 98k miles I took it to the kia dealership and enigine was replaced for free under recall along with turbo feed line and more...they gave me life time warranty on new engine & if it anything went wrong with engine it will be replaced free of charge my kia is currently on 130k miles and it's running STRONGER than ever!
Ayyy good to know! Mine feels strong too. But was watching some YouTube vids where some people have had their engine replaced upto 3 times! Hopefully that's not the case for us!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima 2011 Optima GS 2.0l Turbo
8 Posts
In Nov, 2017 I had the 2.0 litre turbo replaced at 192,000 Km in my 2011 Optima SX and the Service Manager said that Kia put a limit of 196,000 Km on the replacement program. If that is true I was lucky it went when it did but he also did say that the replacement engine had a lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Nov, 2017 I had the 2.0 litre turbo replaced at 192,000 Km in my 2011 Optima SX and the Service Manager said that Kia put a limit of 196,000 Km on the replacement program. If that is true I was lucky it went when it did but he also did say that the replacement engine had a lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty.
Ok wow good for you! That's definitely a peace of mind!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
Mat be different policy when not in the US as I know Australia different, and many others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wait, WHAT?? Engine recall??? I just buttoned up my daughter‘s 2011 because her engine seized. I just posted about the trial and tribulations. (Slaps forehead)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, WHAT?? Engine recall??? I just buttoned up my daughter‘s 2011 because her engine seized. I just posted about the trial and tribulations. (Slaps forehead)
Oh ****!! Kia covers the engine as part of their recall! 😬

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh ****!! Kia covers the engine as part of their recall! 😬
I looked the car up on the NHTSA recall site before she bought the car. Nothing was listed. How are people to know? I just thought she ran it without oil. What was the issue with the engines?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
They seize up, or could become an oil burner. Kia sent letters out for recalls/ updates, never received any?
Just had engine replaced in 2011 2.0T with 172000 miles, all free with rental car also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
has anyone had problems with oxygen sensors after the engine replacement? I have just had my engine replaced, CEL light immediately came back on with problems suggesting the sensors. of course that is not covered as part of the warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts