Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Not on your stereo you have now, you would need to swap it for an OEM unit that has it already, if that is even possible to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,
I really have seached this but is there any way to get apple carplay installed or activated on my 2016 Kia Optima running Uvo?
I think you can. I am in the same situation as you and just ordered the update from MapnSoft. The price has dropped WAY down to $25 US plus shipping for a new SD card and the map update and software update including Carplay and Android Auto.

If you go to the MapNSoft customer portal and create an account, give it your car info including VIN and it will show the available upgrade. Take a look under "New Features". If it shows Carplay towards the end of the file, it will install Carplay for you. If there is no Carplay shown, it won't. Mine is a 2016EX btw.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Assuming that your vehicle is indeed a 2016 Optima, looks like if you order the V14 update for your vehicle it should add Apple CarPlay to your head unit, which based on your screenshot has the built-in NAV so you should be good to go (if your unit wasn't NAV then you would be SOL). All this is based on the FAQ I read on the Kia MapNSoft site so take it with a grain of salt--i.e., don't blame me if what I said here turns out to be incorrect.

LOL wow, your head unit is on NAM.08.47? That's like V9; how long have you had your car?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
I think you can. I am in the same situation as you and just ordered the update from MapnSoft. The price has dropped WAY down to $25 US plus shipping for a new SD card and the map update and software update including Carplay and Android Auto.

If you go to the MapNSoft customer portal and create an account, give it your car info including VIN and it will show the available upgrade. Take a look under "New Features". If it shows Carplay towards the end of the file, it will install Carplay for you. If there is no Carplay shown, it won't. Mine is a 2016EX btw.
Assuming that your vehicle is indeed a 2016 Optima, looks like if you order the V14 update for your vehicle it should add Apple CarPlay to your head unit, which based on your screenshot has the built-in NAV so you should be good to go (if your unit wasn't NAV then you would be SOL). All this is based on the FAQ I read on the Kia MapNSoft site so take it with a grain of salt--i.e., don't blame me if what I said here turns out to be incorrect.

LOL wow, your head unit is on NAM.08.47? That's like V9; how long have you had your car?
Wow that's awesome, I didn't think it was a software option, I was under the impression the hardware had to include the option when the vehicle was built, great news!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ive had it about 6m...thanks for info

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Wow that's awesome, I didn't think it was a software option, I was under the impression the hardware had to include the option when the vehicle was built, great news!
LOL yeah one would think that to be the case, but then again since the UVO can already read certain types of iPhone data (e.g., MP3 data, address book) via USB (i.e., the capability to read an iPhone is already there), CarPlay implementation shouldn't be completely impossible, although yes the processor already needs to have code that can understand "Apple iOS"--LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Carplay upgrade has been available since 2017 I believe. At first it was free, but after that offer expired it became ~$150 + media. Now they've dropped the price back down to $25 including media, or if you want to wait until July, the download is free.

My 2016 is also on V9, so this is going to be a big improvement. I also wanted the new maps as there has been so much construction in Alberta as to make the older ones pretty much useless.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
LOL yeah one would think that to be the case, but then again since the UVO can already read certain types of iPhone data (e.g., MP3 data, address book) via USB (i.e., the capability to read an iPhone is already there), CarPlay implementation shouldn't be completely impossible, although yes the processor already needs to have code that can understand "Apple iOS"--LOL.
That's awesome!

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA SXL
6 Posts
Hey everyone,
I really have searched this but is there any way to get apple carplay installed or activated on my 2016 Kia Optima running Uvo?
I have the same issue. I'm pretty sure I'm on v9...ish. From everything I have read the new update will give you the new software if it needs it. I ordered the new $25 update. It just arrived, now I have to wait for my daughter to get home to install. I Will update when I do.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA SXL
6 Posts
Update.
I uploaded the $25 map update yesterday on my 2016 SXL Turbo and it updated with no issues.. I now have carplay and can view all my other map apps as well.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
That's great to hear; that would mean things seem promising for the Kirk in Action person who was saying that he was hoping that the update would give him CarPlay in his 2016...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts