Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one today on my main screen and said I should schedule an appt. with my dealer. (2017 with 37k miles). My engine light is now on at all times. My idle was loping(?) every now and then and then the message came up. It said I have an Electronic Control System Issue.

Does anyone know what that consists of? Is it something I can reset somehow? Next dealer appt is almost 2 weeks out (sheesh!!).

Also, I had a slight leak in my tire a few days ago and had a tire place fix the problem. Unfortunately today it went back down to 20 lbs! (American Tire).

Do you think this is just a coincidence, or could something they did cause an ECS error?

Thanks all!!

Bill

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got one today on my main screen and said I should schedule an appt. with my dealer. (2017 with 37k miles). My engine light is now on at all times. My idle was loping(?) every now and then and then the message came up. It said I have an Electronic Control System Issue.

Does anyone know what that consists of? Is it something I can reset somehow? Next dealer appt is almost 2 weeks out (sheesh!!).

Also, I had a slight leak in my tire a few days ago and had a tire place fix the problem. Unfortunately today it went back down to 20 lbs! (American Tire).

Do you think this is just a coincidence, or could something they did cause an ECS error?

Thanks all!!

Bill
OK, so I got an OBD check and it showed up as P0303 error which is Cylinder 3 misfire. It showed as coil issue. So I swapped coil 2 for coil 3 and it still showed Cylinder 3 misfire. ****! So I compared cylinder 2's spark plug to cylinder 3's and they look the same. ****!

Thought maybe it was a coil issue but I guess I will have to wait until my Kia appt. in a week and a half!!

Any ideas of anything else I can try or just wait till my appt.?

Thanks all!!

Bill

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Well p303 says it all, tests will narrow down to plug, coil, injector or wiring. If the CEL flashes while driving, immediately let off throttle. A misfire causes lots of unburnt fuel to travel to cats, damaging in long run. Avoid driving if you can.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well p303 says it all, tests will narrow down to plug, coil, injector or wiring. If the CEL flashes while driving, immediately let off throttle. A misfire causes lots of unburnt fuel to travel to cats, damaging in long run. Avoid driving if you can.
Thanks! No it hasn't flashed yet.
Plus, I was able to get an appt. at another Kia dealership in a few days!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts