Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ran across this video on YouTube, when I was researching cleaning techniques for removing carbon build up. Walnut blast your intake valves!
Has anyone used this technique on a optima?
It would be a an interesting kit for a shop/part seller to develop. The vacuum fit intake runner tool could be designed pretty easy, maybe even 3d printed with PETG, and I'm sure a media blaster fitting can be sourced somewhere pretty easy.

I read the awesome DIY thread posted here..
[DIY] : - Intake Manifold Removal (for cleanup of carbon buildup) and was
wondering if there's a quicker way.
A friend told me about the walnut blasting technique and it sounded quick and easy but messy without a proper vacuum setup, if I had the proper measurements I could try to design a 3d print..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
I've not done it, but the shop where my son works has done quite a few. Our '11 2.0T had 172,000 miles and no maintenance done on the intake system, so don't know when a problem might arise, but think the CRC cleaner might be an easier and less expensive way to go, and can be done often, whenever desired.
The Mini owner had said he had a miss in #3 but never heard if the blasting "fixed" the miss. I would have my doubts that the blasting would correct a miss if an intake valve seat was compromised as the blasting is done with the valve closed so the seat isn't contacted.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if he just had a rough idle, that's generally the complaint the YouTube videos talk about.
For us, I was thinking more for maintenance, sense we should be seeing more more older theta ii hitting higher milage points.
If your son comes across another theta ii that gets a walnut blast job, I'd love to see a picture of the valve conditions
I'm really curious to see what my intake valves look like after 61k with about 56k on a PCV side catch can.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
I have a pretty expensive scope, but never used it to check cylinder/valve conditions on the Kia. I've used on the OHV V8 engines to check problems so I guess one could see the intake valve when open through the spark plug hole or even access it through the intake.

Last engine they did at the shop was a VW, don't know year/model/mileage, but he did say it was actually running poorly before, but fine after??????????

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting, I've been wanting to get a borescope. I've never used one, but figured it could be a great inspection tool.

Wouldn't you need a pretty straight shot to inspect the intake valves? I've nevert removed the map sensor on the intake manifold, I wonder if that could be a good access point for inspection? Maybe with a little curve to the camera rod it could work.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
CRC is a good DIY method, but a professional walnut media blasting is definitely the better option. After I had mine done, I immediately bought an OCC, and have never looked back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts