Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I got a check engine light and it pulled the P0137 code. Weird part is that after I pulled the code, the CEL went off.

Autozone says it Bank 1, Sensor 2. Here's what I found online regarding this code:

[[P0137 KIA - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

When is the code detected?
The P0137 code is set when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the rear O2 sensor signal voltage remains excessively low for an extended period of time.

Possible Symptoms
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
High Fuel Consumption

Excessive Smoke from Exhaust]]

I also read that it won't necessarily cause driving issues. But what's weird is that the CEL just went off by itself.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Here's the only thing I did differently right before it came on; I started my car cold, then shut it off immediately to get something in the house I forgot. Then started it back up after around 30 seconds. That's when the light came on. Could my actions have caused the light? Like maybe starting up twice too quickly?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
What year, mileage? Depending on mileage, there is a Federal Emission warranty to 80000miles.
Maybe just a glitch so drive it and see if it occurs in the future.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year, mileage? Depending on mileage, there is a Federal Emission warranty to 80000miles.
Maybe just a glitch so drive it and see if it occurs in the future.
Thanks Turbonut! 2017 38k miles.
Weird, but it hasn't come back. Maybe it was just a glitch like you said. Hopefully!

Bill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Thanks Turbonut! 2017 38k miles.
Weird, but it hasn't come back. Maybe it was just a glitch like you said. Hopefully!
Bill
Purchased an '08 Optima new and a few years ago with 240,000 miles, CEL popped up with, I believe a P0011, camshaft advanced code,
erased code, it came back on, erased and never saw it again, sold the car with 297,000 miles.

With theses cars, one never knows what the future holds in store, but guess a cell is better than the engine seizure

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its never a good idea to replace parts based simply on a DTC. For O2 sensors you really need a good diagnostic scan tool that can data log so you can see whether the upstream O2 sensor is reacting like it should or is lazy. Throwing parts at an issue that may or may not resolve the problem will only lighten your wallet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts