Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, which one? I hate not driving around with an actual spare in the back. Just curious what others have purchased. Does it fit in the trunk in the trunk with no issues?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I also wouldn't want to drive around w/o a spare albeit a temporary spare tire, but plenty have purchased a spare tire/kit. Don't know what model you have but you'll need to know the temporary spare tire size (diameter) for you're model, but ebay for one, always has them for sale, but sometimes a deal will come along.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the hybrid model and don't understand why they have no spare tire kit for it. Maybe trunk is too small due to battery space, or just odd size wheels. Heck, I'd throw one in the backseat for travel insurance.

Really bad idea, imho. I upgraded my towing package to 200 miles just in case. Had enough flats to know getting a blowout fixed is going to take some time for a tow truck to show up. Waiting overnight or a weekend to get a new tire to continue on is very bad.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Most likely a combination of space and weight savings (for improved fuel economy, granted the resulting improvement is probably miniscule).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bad idea is an under statement. My two daughters have Hyundas and they both have been stranded before :mad: I bought them spare kits for XMAS. It was a winner LOL

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts
2 Things: (1) Side Tire Slits and Big holes Cannot be Fixed by a Can of ****
(2) I bet 80 % of Spare Tires in our trunks for over 2-3 years are somewhere between Flat and half the requd inflation. I regard a 12V Air Pump almost as necessary as a Spare Tire.

One I use (The Mfg'er makes a pump cable extension that Fits On the Tire Stem with a Thumb Press Vs having to screw it on from awkward positions.- Worth the $$ )

·
Registered
159 Posts
I cut the Styrofoam on my spare tire kit so the compressor and GOOP container will fit. If I cant fix with the repair kit I will use the tire. Only problem is ... It's an extra 15 to 25 bucks for a repair due to the MESS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most likely a combination of space and weight savings (for improved fuel economy, granted the resulting improvement is probably miniscule).
I don't know what their reason is. Could be the hybrid sits lower (for gas mileage boost?) so the non-hybrid jack will not fit under it, or the wheel hub bolt pattern is somehow different.

Fwiw, when I was at the dealer trying to figure out a kit, they told me one got towed in with a flat on a flatbed trailer. They used the "Fix-A-Flat" goop it came with and it plugged up the tire pressure sensor as well so it had to be changed in addition to fitting a new tire. Cost guy over $350 for tow, tire, goop clean-up, sensor and its calibration.

Also, as I have snow chains they'll be another mess to put on sans any jack with the ones I got.

I've been getting those consumer surveys on the new car (4 now!) and I keep marking them down for not including a spare, jack, etc. to get back on the road should their "Fix-A-Flat" goop not work. Not even a dealer option.

·
Registered
2018 Optima
6 Posts
Hi all - I've a 2018 base model and purchased the spare kit from the dealer. It required installation, the total was about $320. I figure the reason is just the usual business stuff - cut out what you can to get the price down. It fits perfectly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If so, which one? I hate not driving around with an actual spare in the back. Just curious what others have purchased. Does it fit in the trunk in the trunk with no issues?
I just bought a complete kit for my 2016 EX 17 inch. This car has been just a road car..with me driving it, but as my Michelins are getting a little mileage on them and my wife is driving it more to visit family...I thought this was the time to get it done. Total for the ENTIRE kit was: $217.50 DELIVERED. EBAY rocks! Thanks for bringing this back up.

·
Registered
2013 Optima K5 Optima
13 Posts
When I've inquired with the dealer about the spare tire kit, I was told it would cost $200. $300 or $400 plus seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a whole set of used wheels and tires for my 2015 from a guy for $180. They're winter tires, I just use one for a spare and then change them in late fall and use one of the all season tires for a spare.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
I have a Optima Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid neither of which have spares. Bought a spare/jack/ancillary parts on e-bay and throw it in the trunk when traveling out of town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I had a 2006 Optima EX V6, I bought a bare wheel off of eBay, and then reused a tire when I replaced my four (they still had some tread left, enough for use as a spare). I had to hunt up a jack that would work, and I keep the 12v inflator unit in the trunk too. The full-size spare fits in the well under the trunk floor which I have since my car used a 'space-saver' spare. When I got my 2013 Optima Hybrid I tested, and the wheel rim and tire fit the wheelwells (it was the same size rim and rubber) so I kept it and sold the space-saver that came with the 2006 when I sold that. I just feel more comfortable with the idea of a 'real' tire and rim as a spare, in case I want to drive more than 50mph, or more than 200 miles on it...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
34 Posts
I bought a spare tire kit that came out of an older Hyundai Sonata for $100 off ebay. I didn't like not having a spare but didn't want to spend 100's of dollars on something that I'll probably never use.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima LX
20 Posts
This is what I was told when I purchased my car, which came with the spare. The sales guy told me that companies have been cutting back on the spare to improve fuel mileage requirements through weight reduction.

·
Registered
2012 Optima 2012 OPtima EX
4 Posts
There are a bunch of half spare kits on ebay.

If you look, make sure you get a whole spare tire mounted, a lot of them don't have the tire just the rim.
Deland Kia in Florida was selling them, on eBay, I called them to make sure it was the whole kit, I think it was $240 delivered Here is the info about kit and Deland Kia

(Kia Optima SPARE TIRE KIT JACK+TOOLS)
PN # 4CF40-AC950-and-UKH16-12580T

Address: 2322 S Woodland Blvd, DeLand, FL 32720
Phone: (386) 734-7800 delandkia.com

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
3 Posts
Purchased one off ebay for 199.00 fit perfect on the optima ex. Be warned most ship with very little air pressure (safety issue) so air that sucker up to required pressure before putting in trunk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts