Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am coming from a 2014 EX with the Infinity sound system. Every time I play my new, Harman Kardon system in my 2020 Optima, It’s certainly loud enough for me, and it’s not distorted at all, even when turning it all the way up. However, I am noticing that it sounds a bit muddied when I play certain rock tracks. I was playing some Pearl Jam tonight (specifically, the song World Wide Suicide) and some of the guitars in the beginning of the track were hardly noticeable.. and I know thery are because I hear them when I just play them from my iPad speakers, or if I am listening through my Airpods, etc.

I have messed with the very minimal sound settings, turned off the surround feature, etc, and nothing helps. Is this sstem just not that good. Did Kia skimp a bit on this upgraded system compared to older models? Is it just me or are others noticing this? It’s by no means terrible. I am sure the sound system in the LX models sound crappy compared to what i have, but I am a little disappointed....

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Did you try turning off the Speed Dependent Volume Control (should be found in Setup -> Sound -> Advanced) setting to see if that might make a difference? I presume you checked the other sound setting in Advanced where you can enable/disable high-quality audio or something like that (I don't have my car here at the moment to check) as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you try turning off the Speed Dependent Volume Control (should be found in Setup -> Sound -> Advanced) setting to see if that might make a difference? I presume you checked the other sound setting in Advanced where you can enable/disable high-quality audio or something like that (I don't have my car here at the moment to check) as well?
I have found sometimes with the quality of the music it will sound a little distorted certain radio stations will. I think it just has to do with the quality of the recording

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speed Dependent is off.... I have tweaked my EQ in various ways... and I have played with the faux Surround Sound option, tried that on/off. Maybe it’s just my ears and I am going a little mad, but I think my 14 sounds a bit fuller, etc....

Are there any other audio settings I am missing. I don’t believe there is, but I could be wrong. I have checked, what I believe, is all of the possible settings...

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
197 Posts
Did you change the sound positioning (bal/fade)? I did it on my 18. It changed it up. Wife cleared it and all was well.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I tried that as well. I guess it’s certainly not a bad system, but I just feel it could be so much better.. especially With the mids....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might try ripping a few CD's at 320 kbit/s and at a constant bit rate onto a thumbdrive and plug it into the media jack. I loaded up a 32GB thumbdrive made off EZ CD Audio Converter with over 300 songs I ripped off my CD collection and it sounds fine, much better than the radio. Saved me from signing onto the Sirus XM radio thing.

Fwiw, I'm in a Jeep now with its premium audio and it sucks against the Kia. Don't like that speed-dependent audio volume at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts