Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search is only bringing up gen 3 options.

I have a 2016 lx with a regular system.

Anyone with a gen 4 Optima added a subwoofer while keeping the stock head unit?

·
Registered
2020 Horizon Blue Kia Optima SX
37 Posts
I have asked a couple times regarding the same thing. Some people have done it but I haven't been able to get some solid traction on this yet either

·
Registered
37 Posts
have you looked into Line Output Converters LOCs)? I'm trying to figure out the best way to use one to add a sub, how to wire it

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
111 Posts
Mine is not a 4g, but I installed one in mine with a LOC, and replaced it later with a Kicker amp - as they take speaker line inputs directly without a LOC - pretty cool feature. If the 4G has a factory sub, disconnect the sub (both coils in my case) and run those into the amp/LOC. power the amp, and connect the aftermarket sub.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you think it would be possible to just tap into the factory sub speaker inputs and still use the factory sub, or would the quality be junk?

·
Registered
2018 Kia 2018 Kia Optima
14 Posts
Search is only bringing up gen 3 options.

I have a 2016 lx with a regular system.

Anyone with a gen 4 Optima added a subwoofer while keeping the stock head unit?
I installed a sub in my 18 lx. I tapped into the rear door speakers and used a audiocontrol lc2i as my choice of loc. A regular one wouldn’t work for some reason. It’s a better option if you don’t have a factory sub as I’ve found that the bass reproduction of my factory speakers is total poo. Kia’s firmware in these head units inhibits the signal at higher volumes to protect the speakers from blowing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a sub in my 18 lx. I tapped into the rear door speakers and used a audiocontrol lc2i as my choice of loc. A regular one wouldn’t work for some reason. It’s a better option if you don’t have a factory sub as I’ve found that the bass reproduction of my factory speakers is total poo. Kia’s firmware in these head units inhibits the signal at higher volumes to protect the speakers from blowing.
I bought a powered underseat sub and a loc.

I would still need to run a remote wire though right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depending on your LOC, most LOCs will automatically detect the speaker input signal and power on. You would then connect a wire from the remote out from the loc to your amp for the remote power signal for the amp. but I believe this will save you from having to find a seperate remote power on signal. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would mean i could install this from the front speaker wires without having to revive the stereo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Without removing the stereo and the dash pieces? Ya. I think a lot of people tap into the rear door speakers because they may have a better low signal reproduction but I plan on tapping into my stock sub in the rear deck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2019 Lx. Does anyone have a step by step on how to tap back speakers and add a Loc?I want to install a powered sub under my seat.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
552 Posts
Your simplest option is to wire both rear speakers into a shallow-mount DVC Subwoofer, and just use it as an additional speaker. The fact that it's a DVC means you can wire the left and right sides into their own separate coil, and since it has integrated low-pass filtering, only the bass sounds will come through. The point of a subwoofer is to add richer, fuller sound, not rattle the windows, after all.

You'll want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-VVX-8v3-D4-Subwoofer/dp/B00NMJ6AWI

Just run a speaker wire pair from each rear speaker into each coil of one of those, and you'll be all set. I use a similar rig on my own Optima.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima LX
7 Posts
I haven't installed the subwoofer yet but I have a 19 LX and ran a 5 channel amp. I used this wiring diagram attached. It's not too difficult speaker wires behind the dash are on connector A. Red + and blue - on the top green + and orange on -. The wires are different from 2019 on. I found this out when I first installed the 5 channel using an 2016 optima wiring diagram. As far as the door speakers I ran everything to the front and used a Rockford Fosgate line output.
original (1).jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts