Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 15’ is on its THIRD set of emblems. Today I just noticed that the front emblem is going to need to be replaced soon again because it’s peeling. I just want to know what’s causing these things to peel like this lol. I’m not mad about having to replace them I just think it’s weird how we’ve been through 3 sets in 115k miles. I know for a fact we will not be going with the OEM KIA emblems anymore. Is this happening to everyone else or is it just us? I know with all the highway driving on this car the rocks etc. are probably beating the emblem to **** and in return they peel haha! Not that big of deal it’s just very ugly like this.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
Our 15’ is on its THIRD set of emblems. Today I just noticed that the front emblem is going to need to be replaced soon again because it’s peeling. I just want to know what’s causing these things to peel like this lol. I’m not mad about having to replace them I just think it’s weird how we’ve been through 3 sets in 115k miles. I know for a fact we will not be going with the OEM KIA emblems anymore. Is this happening to everyone else or is it just us? I know with all the highway driving on this car the rocks etc. are probably beating the emblem to **** and in return they peel haha! Not that big of deal it’s just very ugly like this. View attachment 248105
Yep. My wife had hers do the same thing on the sorento. They fixed under warranty. Mine not yet on my optima. But then again it now sits. It’s my spare car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. My wife had hers do the same thing on the sorento. They fixed under warranty. Mine not yet on my optima. But then again it now sits. It’s my spare car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ours got replaced twice under warranty (the dealer replaced them when we were going in for the routine maintenance). Our Optima doesn’t get driven around in the city anymore strictly a road trip car now. The darn thing just got back from a trip to Florida a couple weeks ago (before the COVID-19 crap).

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
LOL guess I'll never know if my OEM emblems will eventually peel, as I replaced them with the ones from K5OS not too long after I bought my Optima.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would think UV radiation from the sun is doing this.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL guess I'll never know if my OEM emblems will eventually peel, as I replaced them with the ones from K5OS not too long after I bought my Optima.
I never noticed the first 2 peeling until the dealer told us and replaced them. I’ve been watching this one close though and it seems like day by day it gets worse. These emblems are going to be snatched off the car as soon as this epidemic calms down.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think UV radiation from the sun is doing this.
I assumed it was happening because of the cheap material KIA uses. The UV must have taken its toll on the passenger side mirror as well because it’s starting to look faded. The headlights are still clear as day so that’s a plus (thankfully they don’t oxide as quickly as Nissan headlights).

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
Our 15’ is on its THIRD set of emblems. Today I just noticed that the front emblem is going to need to be replaced soon again because it’s peeling. I just want to know what’s causing these things to peel like this lol. I’m not mad about having to replace them I just think it’s weird how we’ve been through 3 sets in 115k miles. I know for a fact we will not be going with the OEM KIA emblems anymore. Is this happening to everyone else or is it just us? I know with all the highway driving on this car the rocks etc. are probably beating the emblem to **** and in return they peel haha! Not that big of deal it’s just very ugly like this. View attachment 248105
The emblem on the hood gets the full brunt of U/V light. I am on my third set of K badges....except the one on the back never needs replacing. I evrn have a rear K badge super-taped on the front badge slot. Had rear bsdges left over, they are bigger, and seemed to last longer. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The emblem on the hood gets the full brunt of U/V light. I am on my third set of K badges....except the one on the back never needs replacing. I evrn have a rear K badge super-taped on the front badge slot. Had rear bsdges left over, they are bigger, and seemed to last longer. Hmmm.
Our back emblem has been replaced along with the front one every time the dealer did the replacement (which was twice) for now the rear seems to be fine. I wouldn't expect badges to begin to fade until after 15+ years of ownership.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our back emblem has been replaced along with the front one every time the dealer did the replacement (which was twice) for now the rear seems to be fine. I wouldn't expect badges to begin to fade until after 15+ years of ownership.
I think most if not all of David' @ K5 badges are higher quality. Your not going to find a Carbon Fiber relief of a K badge in black for $8.99 a pair. His new full carbon fiber black badge on my white car is super bichin'.
The K5 stuff costs more up front; but lasts 5 times if not more longer than the cheap chinese junk on ebay. I keep having the black carbon fiber full K badge cross my minds eye frequently. I think I will buy them.
???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, mine were peeling off the gloss coating. I decided to just peel it all off and painted with plasti-dip View attachment 248158
I had the equivalent part on my 2012 Spicy Red peel and start to look awful.
Maaco (Store 1001, Springfield VA) painted and Cleared for $100 back to stock. Yours looks nice. I have seen chrome covers for that area on ebay.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Slight tangent, only because of the picture in post #11--wish Kia didn't remove the tow-hook cover from the 2018 model year (when exactly did Kia start doing this?). Also sucks to see that many license plate bracket holes having been drilled in the front bumper (not sure if that was done by the dealer); I guess lucky for me Kia decided to no longer offer the front plate bracket option for 4th-gen Optimas, thus there are only two holes in my front bumper which I was able to "cover up" using color screw caps.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Slight tangent, only because of the picture in post #11--wish Kia didn't remove the tow-hook cover from the 2018 model year (when exactly did Kia start doing this?). Also sucks to see that many license plate bracket holes having been drilled in the front bumper (not sure if that was done by the dealer); I guess lucky for me Kia decided to no longer offer the front plate bracket option for 4th-gen Optimas, thus there are only two holes in my front bumper which I was able to "cover up" using color screw caps.
They removed the tow hook cover in 2016 after the redesign (I have no idea where its located now). Our 15' has the holes drilled in the front for the license plate and considering NC doesn't require front plates I'm wondering why it came on the car in the first place (Isn't on the window sticker).

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Wonder if that's when they stopped including the front license plate mounting bracket--clearly you can tell in that other photo that those three additional holes are for securing the front plate bracket. Full disclosure--I did wind up buying that front plate bracket but it is being secured by the same two screws used to secure the plate itself, meaning I did not need to drill three more holes into my bumper--I went that route in case some day I decide to go back to the no-front-plate look... ;)

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
11 Posts
My rear emblem started peeling around 70k, my front one around 110k. Not sure what I did to get them to last so long, but I won't be replacing them. Can't really tell from two car lengths back.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Wonder if clear bra film (since it has UV protection similar to what's in window tint film--or at least the highly-reputable ones do) over the emblem might have helped...

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
Just wondering if this peeling is actually a protective coating that should have been removed once applied. The exposed area in your pic looks like our emblems. My wife has a 2014 Eco Hybrid with 84k and the emblems look like the day we bought the car, rich black and smooth. Our cars do live in a garage at all times though.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wondering if this peeling is actually a protective coating that should have been removed once applied. The exposed area in your pic looks like our emblems. My wife has a 2014 Eco Hybrid with 84k and the emblems look like the day we bought the car, rich black and smooth. Our cars do live in a garage at all times though.
Overall I think it’s just the material Kia uses. Our Optima used to be garaged until we got the Tahoe and the Accord and they took its place so now it sits outside year round. However, we are getting our new home built so the Optima will be back in a garage soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts