Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your inputs. I'm now convinced that I need to add this mod to my car...and will probably order this week.

·
Registered
406 Posts
dooooo it.... I love them and dont notice the vibration at all anymore..
mind you it's been almost 3 years with them.... and on this wait till it's warmer out... you will want to experience the 1-2 shift and how the car just pulls... hard.
worth the wait.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts
Got mine sitting on my work bench. This darn near zero weather has me hunkered down in my warm house. I cant wait to put them on and give it a try.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cool. Pick up the 4 pc stiff rings from Shark Racing while you're at it. Since you'll be under the car anyways. There's a good write up on here somewhere with pics of exactly where the collars go also.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your inputs. I'm now convinced that I need to add this mod to my car...and will probably order this week.
Let me know if I can help you with this. We soon will be adding it to the site, but they are in stock now. :thumbsup:

Cool. Pick up the 4 pc stiff rings from Shark Racing while you're at it. Since you'll be under the car anyways. There's a good write up on here somewhere with pics of exactly where the collars go also.
Don't forget we carry the stiff ring chassis collars in stock here as well. Both the front kit, rear kit, and complete 14 pc as well.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts
Cool and handy video! Just found out down in Indy there is a DIY garage as well! Bonus

·
Registered
571 Posts
Two technical links talking about the advantages of this mod. In the second link, you will learn that the wheels toe in during hard acceleration which was unknown to me:
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts
mc²racing

Installation video on a 2013 Kia Rio (I assume it's rather similar on my car):
Installation on the optima is pretty much the same. 2 bolts on the chassis side and 1 on the roll rod side. You won't need lithium grease, the mounts will fit in there easily. I would use a c-clamp to get the bolt on and off the mounts. Torquing on the bolt by using the chassis to hold the roll rod still doesn't seem safe. Pull it off the car, clamp it down and then pull the bolt out. When inserting the mounts bolt don't worry about over tightening. Torque it down till the mounts bulge a bit. There is no torque spec that I could find for that, but the tighter they are against each other, the less flex and squishing will occur.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Installation on the optima is pretty much the same. 2 bolts on the chassis side and 1 on the roll rod side. You won't need lithium grease, the mounts will fit in there easily. I would use a c-clamp to get the bolt on and off the mounts. Torquing on the bolt by using the chassis to hold the roll rod still doesn't seem safe. Pull it off the car, clamp it down and then pull the bolt out. When inserting the mounts bolt don't worry about over tightening. Torque it down till the mounts bulge a bit. There is no torque spec that I could find for that, but the tighter they are against each other, the less flex and squishing will occur.
Thanks, I was a bit worried about the torque to apply to the mount bolt...In order to minimize the vibrations, I'm gonna go with the 75A durometer (Torque Solution) instead of the 80A durometer. Some posters on the Sonata forums don't like the vibrations of the 80A. Basically, the new assembly should be 50% stiffer than the OEM one.

2.0 Sonata after the Nameless mounts:

P.S The best would be to see a before/after video with some real load on the engine...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Thanks, I received my polyurethane bushings last Friday. Those things are bigger than what I expected :)

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts
Yeah same here. Mine are still sitting but I think I'll take it to a shop or a DIY Garage soon and get this mod off my plate. I have new rotors to out on anyways!

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,458 Posts
Just ordered the Nameless version along with the Ultra Racing FSTB. I'm looking forward to getting this installed this spring.
I'll for sure do a "before/after" comparison on each.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
My rear engine mounts have been installed on Friday. The vibrations are a bit more noticeable than what I expected (750 to 1250 RPM). I must say that we are still near the freezing point here (5 celcius), so the vibrations might be reduced with the summer coming. On the other hand, my wife and daughter did not complain...and they were not aware of this mod :)

My first impression is that the shifting is faster and I'm more connected to the engine. I need to check for the torque steer...which seems to be less than before! Am I dreaming here???

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts
When you had them installed, did you remove the long center bolt removing the dog bone from the bracket that's attached to the engine, or did you remove all three bolts from the bracket (attached to the engine), preserving the long center bolt? Its makes difference as if you do the one single long bolt, you'll need to torque that bolt back into 85/90 pounds of force.

Also if the engine mounts themselves are torqued down too much, it'll be a bit rougher too. You want them together obviously, a little bit of a bulge and that's it. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,458 Posts
Update 4/26/15: I've had both of these excellent and fairly inexpensive upgrades on my car for a bit and can recommend them both. I've posted about this elsewhere on other threads.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
When you had them installed, did you remove the long center bolt removing the dog bone from the bracket that's attached to the engine, or did you remove all three bolts from the bracket (attached to the engine), preserving the long center bolt? Its makes difference as if you do the one single long bolt, you'll need to torque that bolt back into 85/90 pounds of force.

Also if the engine mounts themselves are torqued down too much, it'll be a bit rougher too. You want them together obviously, a little bit of a bulge and that's it. hope this helps.
Short story, I requested to 3 bolts...but they insisted on the long bolt. I'm still testing this mod...but I start to like it...a lot!!! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,494 Posts
Short story, I requested to 3 bolts...but they insisted on the long bolt. I'm still testing this mod...but I start to like it...a lot!!! :cool:
Same story here. Get your hands on a torque bar and verify the long bolt has 80+ foot pounds of torque on it (recommend 85). Or take it back to the shop and have them verify. Chances are they just tightened it by hand and have no idea where to torque level is at. Also while you are at it, the two horizontal bolts test and make sure those are at 40+ foot pounds of torque (45 recommended). GL.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts